Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
RE: First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy?
Wait, keeping pressure @ 4, means you might not be getting enough air during your sleep, let alone helping your apnea. Talk to your Dr. & get the pressure raised.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont think its too low- its powerful, and the first day I felt good after the sick feeling wore off. Like it worked. I am a small person 135 lbs, dont have a large neck etc. Dr though the pressure was too high if anything.
I wonder if I'm having cpap induced central apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2013, 02:28 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: sigh. This cpap thing is starting to look like a failed experiment. I used a nasal rinse last night, made sure the mask was not too tight, slept fine and turned off the cpap at 3am to give myself time to recover in time to get up and go to work at 7. But I still felt so tired I could barely move in the morning, came in late to work, and at noon I still feel lightheaded and sort of like Ive been drugged (yes like the symptoms of hyperventalation) I think this might mean that even at pressure 4 , it is too strong for me, but I wish I understood why it would cause these symptoms. I'm very discouraged! Sleep Dr office has not called back yet. and I have to wait a month for an appointment with a dentist..

Unless you can't exhale against the pressure, 4 is probably not too high for you.

If anything, the hyperventilation suggests it's working and your body is getting adjusted to sleeping well and breathing at night instead of being strangled for half the night.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what CPAP machine do you have? "Philips Respironics" doesn't tell us much.

Tell us what it says near the display on your blower unit. Probably something like REMstar blahblah. You should probably get the software and check how your apnea is doing during the night yourself.

The odds are that using a dental device is a waste of time. If it does actually work, there's a good chance you'll have the same symptoms as your body adjusts to breathing instead of choking in your sleep. Also, unless you go have another sleep test with the dental device installed, you won't know it works.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is more detailed info. Thanks for asking. it is a little hard to breathe out with pressure of 4, but not terribly so. i sleep ok. I will look into software. The MD looked at the data and did not want to increase the pressure. He said when I was using auto cpap it was staying at 4 but occasionally jumping up very high. He asked about mask leaks. I am not aware of any. I called the sleep center again today about the sick feeling I'm getting with elevated heart rate.They said discontinue cpap, then when/if symptoms abate, try cpap again. My impression from the nurse was that the doctor was not concerned and perhaps saw me as a hypochondriac. I'm not but I can understand their feeling like my symptoms are not important if it doesn't fit the typical cpap experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2013, 09:28 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: I called the sleep center again today about the sick feeling I'm getting with elevated heart rate.They said discontinue cpap, then when/if symptoms abate, try cpap again.
If it helps, the technician that did my CPAP titration explained to me that I might notice an increased heart rate in the beginning. He said it's a natural reaction to the air pressure and it does subside. Your body freaks out a bit at first.

* Not to be taken in place of actual medical advice from a licensed professional.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2013, 09:31 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 09:28 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: I called the sleep center again today about the sick feeling I'm getting with elevated heart rate.They said discontinue cpap, then when/if symptoms abate, try cpap again.
If it helps, the technician that did my CPAP titration explained to me that I might notice an increased heart rate in the beginning. He said it's a natural reaction to the air pressure and it does subside. Your body freaks out a bit at first.

* Not to be taken in place of actual medical advice from a licensed professional.

That IS helpful thank you! All this " that never happens" response Im getting from the doctors office doesnt help me figure out what to do. I now suspect that the cpap is causing a dip in my blood pressure which is normally on the low side. That would account for these symptoms. I want to keep trying to get used to it, I so badly want the apnea treated!

Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to help sleepjunky, but just to reaffirm it- if your rapid heartbeat continues and happens even when you're not using CPAP or during the daytime, please do see a doctor.

Personally, I did notice a little bit of shock factor when the technician put the mask on and started the machine. He was right about the heart rate but it got better as I got used to breathing through the mask and thinking about all the wonderful air going into my lungs that I've been lacking Smile I was savoring every inhalation until I fell asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dont worry the MD knows all about it. As I said I strongly suspect a dip in blood pressure post cpap use- extra pressure in the lungs causes it. For most people its a good thing. For me- not so much. I'm hoping my body will re-establish homeostasis/ equilibrium with time, and a lot of water when I wake up!

I keep doing stupid forgetful things, leaving stuff on the top of the car etc. frustrating!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 01:42 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: I keep doing stupid forgetful things, leaving stuff on the top of the car etc. frustrating!
It's not really bad until you start throwing away your silverware while cleaning off your plate or putting the unused milk in the trash instead of returning it to the refrigerator. Maybe even trying to put the milk in the dishwasher.

... so I've heard. Laugh-a-lot Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 01:51 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 01:42 PM)sleepjunky Wrote: I keep doing stupid forgetful things, leaving stuff on the top of the car etc. frustrating!
It's not really bad until you start throwing away your silverware while cleaning off your plate or putting the unused milk in the trash instead of returning it to the refrigerator. Maybe even trying to put the milk in the dishwasher.

... so I've heard. Laugh-a-lot Rolleyes

Ha! That SO sounds like me. When my twins were babies I made a bottle of milk set it on the counter and less than a minute later thought " why did I leave that out all night?" and set it in the sink to throw away.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 509 11 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.