Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed F10
Humidifier: autoset for her
CPAP Pressure: 4-6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Need to breathe....Having a hard time adjusting to CPAP

Sex: Female

RE: First week with CPAP and questions
(07-24-2015 08:39 AM)lolewis Wrote:  He suggested I go for a polysomnography but I said if it wouldn't change anything, why would I bother? is there any benefit to it that I am not thinking about?

Forgive me if I seem confused but if you have already had "sleep studies" why is he suggesting a polysomnography? Aren't they the same thing? HmmmOh-jeez

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.
"
Hillary Cooper
07-24-2015 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
lolewis Offline

Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(07-24-2015 08:57 AM)Exhale Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 08:39 AM)lolewis Wrote:  He suggested I go for a polysomnography but I said if it wouldn't change anything, why would I bother? is there any benefit to it that I am not thinking about?

Forgive me if I seem confused but if you have already had "sleep studies" why is he suggesting a polysomnography? Aren't they the same thing? HmmmOh-jeez

That was what I thought but my sleep test was done at home and he wants it done in the hospital so I assumed there must be a difference.
07-24-2015 11:38 AM
AndyB Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with RERA
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus, ResMed AirFit F10; PR Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed integrated heated
CPAP Pressure: 10.4-13.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed May 2015; EPR @ 1cmH2O; Ramp off; ResMed Climateline heated hose

Sex: Male

I recently had a sleep study at a local sleep center, and I assume it was a different experience than a home sleep study.

I was shown to a room outfitted like a nice motel room, with a king bed, dresser, nightstands, desk, TV and private bathroom. I brought my own pillows so I would feel more like I was in my own bed. A sleep technician attached numerous electrodes to my head, chest, arms and legs, and he also attached a respiratory measurement strap around my chest. He explained that he would be in a nearby room, watching the signals from my measurement devices. He answered a few questions I had about the test, and then wished me good night, turned out the lights, and left the room.

I was nervous and unsure whether I could sleep in such a strange situation, but I fell asleep fairly easily.

About 3 hours later he woke me, explained that I definitely had sleep apnea, put a mask on me and told me to go back to sleep while he controlled the CPAP machine in my room and monitored my measurements again. It took me a lot longer to fall asleep this time, but I managed to do so in 30 minutes or so.

He woke me about 3 1/2 hours later. He told me my doctor would go over the results of the sleep study with me, but he was otherwise closed-lip about the results of my study. When I pressed him, he merely said that I have severe sleep apnea.

I've never had an in-home study, so I don't know how your experiences compare to the sleep center study I had, but I would be surprised if a home study could match the level of detail and real-time on-site monitoring my study provided.

I'm no expert and I've had only this one study, so I could be mistaken, but I thought a description of my sleep center experience might be useful.
07-25-2015 08:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
lolewis Offline

Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(07-25-2015 08:40 PM)AndyB Wrote:  I recently had a sleep study at a local sleep center, and I assume it was a different experience than a home sleep study.

I was shown to a room outfitted like a nice motel room, with a king bed, dresser, nightstands, desk, TV and private bathroom. I brought my own pillows so I would feel more like I was in my own bed. A sleep technician attached numerous electrodes to my head, chest, arms and legs, and he also attached a respiratory measurement strap around my chest. He explained that he would be in a nearby room, watching the signals from my measurement devices. He answered a few questions I had about the test, and then wished me good night, turned out the lights, and left the room.

I was nervous and unsure whether I could sleep in such a strange situation, but I fell asleep fairly easily.

About 3 hours later he woke me, explained that I definitely had sleep apnea, put a mask on me and told me to go back to sleep while he controlled the CPAP machine in my room and monitored my measurements again. It took me a lot longer to fall asleep this time, but I managed to do so in 30 minutes or so.

He woke me about 3 1/2 hours later. He told me my doctor would go over the results of the sleep study with me, but he was otherwise closed-lip about the results of my study. When I pressed him, he merely said that I have severe sleep apnea.

I've never had an in-home study, so I don't know how your experiences compare to the sleep center study I had, but I would be surprised if a home study could match the level of detail and real-time on-site monitoring my study provided.

I'm no expert and I've had only this one study, so I could be mistaken, but I thought a description of my sleep center experience might be useful.

Your sleep study certainly seemed detailed for sure. It was interesting to read how it is done. Thanks so much.
"
07-27-2015 05:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First week- why is my cpap making me dizzy? sleepjunky 44 26,476 11-12-2016 05:44 PM
Last Post: Clay L
  Been about a week with the AirSense 10 for Her Beej 4 407 11-11-2016 09:30 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Questions for anyone who has tried Transcend Mini Auto CPAP rdavis 3 244 11-04-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] First week and some questions cedrorum 7 290 10-28-2016 06:12 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [CPAP] New to the CPAP experience - questions DynamicMaroonPenguin1961 11 513 10-18-2016 08:32 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Just Started Using an Auto CPAP this week for 1st time ApneaintheATL 4 454 10-14-2016 06:06 PM
Last Post: player
Question 109AHI, starting 2nd week on CPAP, have some questions toinewi 38 2,455 10-14-2016 06:19 AM
Last Post: JaneAM