Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week with CPAP and questions
RE: First week with CPAP and questions
(07-24-2015, 08:39 AM)lolewis Wrote: He suggested I go for a polysomnography but I said if it wouldn't change anything, why would I bother? is there any benefit to it that I am not thinking about?

Forgive me if I seem confused but if you have already had "sleep studies" why is he suggesting a polysomnography? Aren't they the same thing? HmmmOh-jeez
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.
"
Hillary Cooper
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 08:57 AM)Exhale Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 08:39 AM)lolewis Wrote: He suggested I go for a polysomnography but I said if it wouldn't change anything, why would I bother? is there any benefit to it that I am not thinking about?

Forgive me if I seem confused but if you have already had "sleep studies" why is he suggesting a polysomnography? Aren't they the same thing? HmmmOh-jeez

That was what I thought but my sleep test was done at home and he wants it done in the hospital so I assumed there must be a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently had a sleep study at a local sleep center, and I assume it was a different experience than a home sleep study.

I was shown to a room outfitted like a nice motel room, with a king bed, dresser, nightstands, desk, TV and private bathroom. I brought my own pillows so I would feel more like I was in my own bed. A sleep technician attached numerous electrodes to my head, chest, arms and legs, and he also attached a respiratory measurement strap around my chest. He explained that he would be in a nearby room, watching the signals from my measurement devices. He answered a few questions I had about the test, and then wished me good night, turned out the lights, and left the room.

I was nervous and unsure whether I could sleep in such a strange situation, but I fell asleep fairly easily.

About 3 hours later he woke me, explained that I definitely had sleep apnea, put a mask on me and told me to go back to sleep while he controlled the CPAP machine in my room and monitored my measurements again. It took me a lot longer to fall asleep this time, but I managed to do so in 30 minutes or so.

He woke me about 3 1/2 hours later. He told me my doctor would go over the results of the sleep study with me, but he was otherwise closed-lip about the results of my study. When I pressed him, he merely said that I have severe sleep apnea.

I've never had an in-home study, so I don't know how your experiences compare to the sleep center study I had, but I would be surprised if a home study could match the level of detail and real-time on-site monitoring my study provided.

I'm no expert and I've had only this one study, so I could be mistaken, but I thought a description of my sleep center experience might be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2015, 08:40 PM)AndyB Wrote: I recently had a sleep study at a local sleep center, and I assume it was a different experience than a home sleep study.

I was shown to a room outfitted like a nice motel room, with a king bed, dresser, nightstands, desk, TV and private bathroom. I brought my own pillows so I would feel more like I was in my own bed. A sleep technician attached numerous electrodes to my head, chest, arms and legs, and he also attached a respiratory measurement strap around my chest. He explained that he would be in a nearby room, watching the signals from my measurement devices. He answered a few questions I had about the test, and then wished me good night, turned out the lights, and left the room.

I was nervous and unsure whether I could sleep in such a strange situation, but I fell asleep fairly easily.

About 3 hours later he woke me, explained that I definitely had sleep apnea, put a mask on me and told me to go back to sleep while he controlled the CPAP machine in my room and monitored my measurements again. It took me a lot longer to fall asleep this time, but I managed to do so in 30 minutes or so.

He woke me about 3 1/2 hours later. He told me my doctor would go over the results of the sleep study with me, but he was otherwise closed-lip about the results of my study. When I pressed him, he merely said that I have severe sleep apnea.

I've never had an in-home study, so I don't know how your experiences compare to the sleep center study I had, but I would be surprised if a home study could match the level of detail and real-time on-site monitoring my study provided.

I'm no expert and I've had only this one study, so I could be mistaken, but I thought a description of my sleep center experience might be useful.

Your sleep study certainly seemed detailed for sure. It was interesting to read how it is done. Thanks so much.
"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 497 3 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 266 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.