Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fischer Paykel Icon Auto review???
Fischer Paykel Icon Auto review???
Recheck with my sleep doc five weeks into my CPAP startup yielded a recommendation to upgrade from my current PRS1 REMstar DS460TS to an auto PAP machine. This will make the third machine to date for a remarkably fair copay under my insurance. My DME (who I am very happy with) is quite willing to upgrade me again to a Fischer Paykel Icon Auto this one last time which I believe is as much as I can expect from them in the initial stages of this adventure.

I was initially started with a PRS1 brick, moved up to a PRS1 DS460TS per my insistence on performance data beyond compliance hours, and now they sound quite willing to offer me one final machine upgrade in the form of an Icon Auto.

The F&P Icon Auto does not appear in the forum machine review section and I'd greatly appreciate any advice or input anyone can offer on the Icon Auto, particularly as relates to what data it will report back to me on it's display, it's programability, and if there any known problems with it.

Many thanks,
~ Doc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fischer Paykel Icon Auto review???
The biggest problem is that you can't get software for it, so you can't tell what's going on with your therapy. That would be a deal breaker for me.

If you could you'd be much better off with the PRS1 60 series DS560TS.

Umm, 30º, -90º; that puts you smack dab in New Orleans East! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2014, 02:07 PM)critterdoc Wrote: The F&P Icon Auto does not appear in the forum machine review section and I'd greatly appreciate any advice or input anyone can offer on the Icon Auto, particularly as relates to what data it will report back to me on it's display, it's programability, and if there any known problems with it.

Many thanks,
~ Doc
As far as data display goes, ResMed S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto, model name printed next on/off button) is a standout. The most important features of the S9 is reporting unintentional leak (all other machines report 'total leak') and breakdown category of apnea events which are not available on F&P Icon Auto and no EPR either

When comes to software, F&P InfoSmart is not free, SleepyHead support somewhat but properly need some sort of card reader. Both ResScan and SleepyHead are free and support S9. PR System One Auto comes close second but again data display on the LCD is not as good or informative as the S9 AutoSet. The winner is .... S9 AutoSet Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2014, 03:02 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: The biggest problem is that you can't get software for it, so you can't tell what's going on with your therapy. That would be a deal breaker for me.

If you could you'd be much better off with the PRS1 60 series DS560TS.

Umm, 30º, -90º; that puts you smack dab in New Orleans East! Big Grin
I'm not sure I will have any option other than moving to the Icon Auto, which technically appears to be superior to the DS460TS to me. I have several days to make a decision and I'm really looking for comments on what's accessible from the technicians menu, and how you adjust pressures and other settings after you jail break this sucker. The DS460TS lets me easily call up AHI and leaks on the display which is enough for now and I'm not sure that I'll want to go the software route in my my Mac. One of the Youtube vids on the Icon implies that there is a way to display AHIs and leaks on the display while the device is blowing but it's not completely clear on that issue. I'm hoping to find someone who can clarify how programmable this machine and what kinds of reports it will directly provide on the display keeping in mind that I'm a relative noob to CPAP and a total noob to APAP. I assume there are two pressure settings buried in the tech settings and that APAP function can be toggled off, defaulting to CPAP if I want it back there - questions like that which I cannot explore until Monday when I go to the DME's store and perhaps only after I bring the machine home. One thing for sure is that they will not give me a primer on clinicians settings and I'm hoping to learn enough before Monday to be sure they set it up for APAP function based on the docs prescription and I'll take it from there if I can. Bottom line is that it appears that I will either walk with a new Icon APAP or keep the DS460TS CPAP booth of which beats the prick they started me out with.

[ 'bout = other side of town ]
Post Reply Post Reply
There's several people here who use the Icon and like it. It's a popular machine. If I remember correctly, the "music" option to it was a disappointment. Some liked it, some said it wasn't worth the hype.

The DME is pushing the Icon because it sells for cheaper than the PRS1 and the S9. They get a bigger profit.

As for software, the Icon works with SleepyHead.

Get the manuals of all three and look through them. Base your decision on that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you request a clinician's manual for it? If not you should. It should tell you what's available especially since it's a combined manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has one and you can adjust settings yourself. It is not the most intuitive machine to adjust, but the menus get you where you need to go. Mrs. Psycho's machine was swapped due to an issue with the SD card, so I got to play with the settings a bit (DME "forgot").

If you need extra humidity, it certainly can deliver...Mrs. Psycho is on it just for that reason....I think she's part fish Wink

In general, it's been a pretty dependable machine for her, but I don't know about the card and software, sorry.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2014, 04:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: As for software, the Icon works with SleepyHead.
The F&P Icon uses InfoSmart, which appears to be aimed at clinics and sleep doctor offices. I'm told the software can be purchased for $89, but you have to register it within 30 days as a company; there's apparently no verification however, and you can call yourself a company with one employee, namely you. I have no information about how a user might find and install the InfoSmart software for their Icon machine, however.

I've also heard, but cannot verify, that InfoSmart does not work with the newer Icon+ machines. The full data Icons record less data than either the Resmed S9 or the PR System One machines.

And I don't believe that SleepyHead works with the newer Icon+ machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2014, 04:08 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: Did you request a clinician's manual for it? If not you should. It should tell you what's available especially since it's a combined manual.
Requesting the clinician's manual was one of the first things I did after the DME offered the Icon upgrade option, but the only way I could find to get it was via the email option and I've not heard back on that request yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would send that request again then. It is automatic.

Robysue, I keep forgetting that F&P upgraded and it is now called the Icon+. You are right that it does not work with SleepyHead.

The fact I would have to buy software for it would keep me from using this machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,927 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,024 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Sleep Study Review - Missed PLMS? pezhead99 4 332 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: WhyMe
  New"ish" CPAP user. OSCAR review tippmann87 12 716 01-19-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,316 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.