Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam]
Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam]
New member here. Trying to find safe and easy work around for Philips debacle. Dug out my old Fisher Paykel HC221LE. Still blowing up a good storm plus was able to adjust rate to my current prescribed one thanks to this group's awesome "unlock & reset" suggestions. Before I start using it however I want to remove the old yellowing foam I can see behind the replaceable filter. Am assuming it is used as a noise damper. Would really appreciate suggestions/pictures of how to remove top casing safely to access and remove it. Have no faith in safety of ANY foam at this point much less decades old stuff. Grateful for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam]
Have you checked the forums list of service manuals to see if it is there. Also YouTube is a great place to find tear downs.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

As I'd mentioned elsewhere, I had a moderator move your thread to a better place. No issues just letting you know that.

As for taking out old foam in an older PAP, my concern is whether the old plastic it's made of will handle the teardown. Old plastic has a habit of becoming brittle, and the little tabs and other bits of plastic that holds this PAP together may not like being taken apart.

As for any concern or fear about the foam in any PAP, the only ones under a recall are Philips Respironics for the past 2 generations, if I've got it accurate. Those would be the only ones I'd be concerned over using.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Boy I said in my last post (which I apparently did not do correctly cause it never showed up) that I was not the sharpest knife in the internet-use drawer and that was obviously proven...lol. 

I have looked in the manual offerings and unless I'm missing it (which is totally possible) it does not appear that mine is available. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I am not just jumping right in and forcing things as I am concerned about possible brittle plastic too. I have removed the four long corner screws from the underside that appear to be what's holding the top cover housing on. It is not just sliding right off though so I worry that there may be other things attached that I'm not seeing. The thing IS working and I sure don't want to muck it up as it may be what I'm going to need to be using for the coming year or so.

That said, because it IS old enough to have possible brittle plastic, I am certain the foam that's the same age is not in good shape either. Not at all comfortable even thinking about breathing air that's forced past that whether it is part of any recall or not.

So if anyone knows the guts of this baby, I'd sure appreciate some guidance. Stay safe and thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... NOBODY has opened up this or has the repair manual?

I keep hoping....?
Post Reply Post Reply
In the Private Files and Links Forum, there are service manuals for F&P Icon and a couple others. I didn't see the one you list, but they could be similar.

Other than that, check You Tube videos.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2021, 09:52 PM)S.Thompson Wrote: New member here. Trying to find safe and easy work around for Philips debacle. Dug out my old Fisher Paykel HC221LE. Still blowing up a good storm plus was able to adjust rate to my current prescribed one thanks to this group's awesome "unlock & reset" suggestions. Before I start using it however I want to remove the old yellowing foam I can see behind the replaceable filter. Am assuming it is used as a noise damper. Would really appreciate suggestions/pictures of how to remove top casing safely to access and remove it. Have no faith in safety of ANY foam at this point much less decades old stuff. Grateful for your help.

Very good.  It is the "unlock and reset" (primarily the 'unlock') that I TOO am looking for.  For this exact machine.

Share, if you would, or hit me with a PM if that is proper'er etiquette.  (I've resurrected a thread in the main page for this manual, to accomplish this task.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,927 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.