Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Fisher-Paykel Oracle 2 Oral mask
Fisher-Paykel Oracle 2 Oral mask

The Fisher-Paykel Oracle 2 mask is a oral mask designed for folks who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not use either a nasal mask or a full-face mask.

In my case, I have serious claustrophobia issues which prevent me from using any mask that clamps onto my face.  The Oracle 2 mask works just fine for me.

What works best:  
This mask has a strap that goes directly to the back of the head but it is entirely optional in use.  I gave up using the strap after a couple of nights and haven't used it since.  A note to the ladies, this mask will not mess up you hairdo.

It is light weight and very easy to get used to.  Care, like for all masks, is required in the adjustment for leaks.  In this case, the mask has two funtioning parts, one that fits into you mouth and the other outside.  The distance between to two in adjustible to control leaks.  

Contrary to adjustments on other masks, tighter is definitely not better.  The adjustment is correct when it just barely but completely controls the leaks.  Your lips fall between the inner flap and the outer flap assembly.  Tightening too much will leave you with quite a bit of discomfort in the morning.

The mask has a filtered vent on the angle between the mask and the hose that connects to the CPAP hose.  The location of this vent and the fact of the inner filter absolutely prevents any air from being blown anywhere on your face including your eyes -  problem with some other style masks.

I use it with a hose support so the hose connection and hose go directly up and away.  The result is I can toss and turn and not get the mask misadjusted nor feel any tugging when I do so.

This mask seals with the inner flap.  The outer flap assembly keeps everything aligned and has little to do with leak control.

The cost for one of these is quite competitive.  My most recent price was about $80 for one ordered today.

What doesn't work so well:

This mask is an oral mask and therefore blows air directly in you mouth and down your throat.  That bypasses all the normal mechanisms you nasal passages have to adjust the humidity before the air reaches your lungs.  Humidification is absolutely required for this mask.  

I looked up the original FDA filings for this design and the FDA approval requires a humidifier.  

The second issue with this mask is blocking your nasal passages.  If they remain open, air blows out of you nose and is quite uncomfortable.  Folks using a nasal mask have the reverse problem with air coming out of their mouths unless they can keep them closed while sleeping.

With this mask, F-P supplies nasal plugs that are supposed to address this issue.  For me, they didn't.  The plugs were uncomfortable and sometimes they blew out during the night - really bad scene.  I did several experiments trying various approaches to overcome this problem.  I tried swim plugs, etc.  Nothing worked very well.  I finally had the inspiration to try nose clips that my sleep doctor uses when measuring lung tidal volume.  These clips gently press the nostrils closed and, when properly adjusted, don't often fall off, are almost unnoticeable, and do to job.

There does seem to be some limit on air pressure for this mask.  For me, a pressure of 25 cm blows the mask off.  My upper pressure of 18.5 cm works just fine.  Remember, I'm using this mask with no strap so it's likely that with the strap in place somewhat higher presssures will work.

This is an oral mask.  That means hygiene is essential.  Wash it every day using mild soap as described by the manufacturer.  With other masks, skipping a day now and then is relatively harmless.  Not so here.

That's  all of the bad news except to note that after a couple of months, I woke up one morning and my nose clip had fallen off in the night.  The good part of that was, no nose leaks during the night.  I haven't had to use them again.  I guess I just learned how to not breathe out through my nose like many nasal mask wearers learn to keep their mouths closed while sleeping.

So, if you are a mouth breather, if you don't like strapping all that stuff around your head at night, if you are at all claustrophobic then this mask may just be the solution to your CPAP compliance.  My personal experience with sleep center techs and DME's is that they will recommend almost anything else because they just don't know how to adjust one of these.

If you have one of these masks and need to see exactly what nose clip I'm talking about, let me know directly (private message) and I will likely just send you a sample to try - I have a big jar full of them I haven't needed for over 18 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher-Paykel Oracle 2 Oral mask
Nice informative review, jds74. Thanks and welcome to Apnea Board!

Well-done
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I'm fairly new here, but I have recently tried this mask and I really liked it. I did have a problem with the dry mouth, and I have my PR Remstar 60 humidifier turned up all the way for max humidity. This machine is rented from my insurance company. I recently bought a Resmed S9 Autoset for her and I'm hoping that helps fix the dry mouth for me. I also have the heated hose for the PR machine and I've ordered the climateline hose for the new machine. So wish me luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
It tooks me through tries, 2 hrs and 1.5 hrs with no sleep, until I finally used the Oracle HC452 (the next version of this mask) to get most of about 2 hours of sleep.

This mask is quite uncomfortable to me, and despite setting the Resmed Autoset S9 on manual with both heat and humidity at MAX, my hard pallette gets painfully dry, my chipmunk cheeks make my jaw ache, and the darn thing also crushes my lips and cheeks despite the tightness of the clamp.

I don't have the drool problem many people have. However since my tongue is out of contact with my upper pallette, the pallette gets very dry and must be specifically moistened by consciously chased by the tongue while awake or immediately upon waking.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this review. I am having some eyelid surgery to improve my eyesight field of view. It will also involve a slight forehead tightening over the eyebrows. Although I was able to start reusing CPAP the next day after the two cataract surgeries, having the stitches in the eyebrow area for this final procedure definitely precludes using my full face Mirage Quattro or Amara Gel (current mask). They both have forehead supports which most likely would make it more than uncomfortable. OUCH !! LOL

I was in contact with my VA Tech about it and he only had two solutions as they do not have too much luck with nasal masks on higher pressure Vets. One was the Resmed Liberty in small that has nasal pillows and mouthpiece and the other was this Fisher-Paykel Oracle mask. I think he is weighing into this one instead of the one with nasal pillows as I have constant nasal congestion mostly year round.

Your review was very thorough and if this is what I get for therapy during the recovery period I'll know how to use it with more confidence.

Thanks for a great review!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just be aware this is NOT the easiest mask to use. I managed, and it can be done if you must.

The OP had much better results with it.

I doubt that it would ever become my favorite but it might become more tolerable with use.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 11:41 AM)OldSarge Wrote: Thanks for this review. I am having some eyelid surgery to improve my eyesight field of view. It will also involve a slight forehead tightening over the eyebrows. Although I was able to start reusing CPAP the next day after the two cataract surgeries, having the stitches in the eyebrow area for this final procedure definitely precludes using my full face Mirage Quattro or Amara Gel (current mask). They both have forehead supports which most likely would make it more than uncomfortable. OUCH !! LOL

I was in contact with my VA Tech about it and he only had two solutions as they do not have too much luck with nasal masks on higher pressure Vets. One was the Resmed Liberty in small that has nasal pillows and mouthpiece and the other was this Fisher-Paykel Oracle mask. I think he is weighing into this one instead of the one with nasal pillows as I have constant nasal congestion mostly year round.

Your review was very thorough and if this is what I get for therapy during the recovery period I'll know how to use it with more confidence.

Thanks for a great review!

The Quattro FX is a ffm that does not have a forehead support - you may want to check that one out
Post Reply Post Reply
SKRA- thanks for your thoughts.
Sorry, I missed your reply until now.
I did notice the Quattro FX headgear goes around the side of the face and does not have forehead supports.
I think the problem with that mask may be the high pressure I am on - 15cm.
Reviewers of the Q - FX seem to mention leakage with high pressure being a problem.
But I'm wondering who doesn't have leaks with high pressure?

My Respronics Amara Gel mask seemed to be somewhat leak free the first couple of weeks. But the software (Rescan and Sleepyhead) showed moderate leaks even though I could not feel them much personally. My figures on AHI dropped dramatically during this time.
When I used my Resmed Mirage Quattro a couple of nights during this time period, the leaks seemed very dominant - the software disagreed. But my AHI was higher.

Then just last night I had a terrible time getting the Amara to seat properly around my nose and not leak. Pressure has not been changed on the machine, by the way.

Seems to be a mystery of sorts. I've decided not to sweat it for now. I see the Resp Tech the morning just before my eyelid surgery. We will see what comes - I will mention the FX to him in case he has any positive experience with it.
I'll get thru it either way.

I was hoping to not interfere with my CPAP therapy, but I may just have to suspend it for a little while.

I understand I will look somewhat like a beaten up raccoon for a week or two, so I'll concentrate getting past the recovery. LOL

One thing the Marines taught me (out of MANY), was that sometimes you just have to "bite the bullet" and persevere.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had trouble with the Mirage Quattro, Amara Gel and the Quattro FX. I finally got some decent help from the sleep lab where I had my last sleep study and since last Nov. have been using the Wisp and it has been successful. The head gear and the silicone mask have held up well. I change my cushions 2 times per month.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask me50 36 39,170 03-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Last Post: PaulKTF
  [Product Review] Fisher Paykel Zest Nasal Mask MobileBasset 5 8,001 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Last Post: 49er
Thumbsup [Product Review] Fisher & Paykel Pilairo nasal pillow mask aussie_sleepy 6 14,348 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.