Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fisher Paykel vs. Resmed
Fisher Paykel vs. Resmed
Hello Everyone

I'm trying to get a Fisher Paykel ICON Auto CPAP. When I showed up at the DME to get my machine they had a ResMed 10 sitting there. I said I will not accept that ResMed machine I want the Fisher Paykel. So now the DME is telling me I can have the ICON but no warranty as FP is going to discontined the ICON model. Have any of you heard any such rumors ? Thanks, Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fisher Paykel vs. Resmed
Fisher Paykel has introduced a new Icon2 line, so in that sense the Icon has been discontinued. I don't think that means the 2-year warranty is instantly invalid. This particular DME may not want to honour it... that just means you should find another DME to buy your new Icon from.
And by the way, the Icon is supported by SleepyHead, but the Icon2 is not supported possibly later...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm scratching my head why you wouldn't prefer a ResMed?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the ICON and it did not work well for me though it may for you. In my opinion, having tried both the ICON and the Resmed 10 the Resmed wins all the way. The ICON has a limited set of features, and a setting that supposedly senses when you are awake that really does nothing. If it had then I would have got better AHI figures

The big issue for me was the F&P algorithm. I struggled to get my AHI under 10 with this machine. The night I switched to a Resmed S9 I dropped below 5 and stayed there.

The DME is probably scratching his head as to why you would want the F&P over the Resmed. Via insurance, the Resmed is not going to cost you any extra but will provide superior therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur, why F&P? been there, done that, won't go there again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Give the guy a break! It doesn't matter why some of us think the ResMed AirSense is better, Zeeser prefers the Icon. All I care about is whether or not SleepyHead can read the data. It's their choice, not yours or the DME. 

Land of the free, home of the brave... remember?
Post Reply Post Reply
My first machine was the icon auto.  I did like it but it can’t compare to the Resmed autoset.  
The reason I say this is because:
1. Icon is supported by sleepyhead but it does not include the waveform graph. 
2. Icon does not have EPR which I think is very important. 
3. The software for the icon is doctor based only.  
If you want it for a travel or backup machine that would be fine, but for everyday machine I really feel the Resmed is the way to go.  
Just my opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a new machine (ResMed A10). My DME said the F&P rep told him they are focusing on CPAP accessories (Masks,etc.) and phasing out the machines.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2018, 03:37 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: I just got a new machine (ResMed A10). My DME said the F&P rep told him they are focusing on CPAP accessories (Masks,etc.) and phasing out the machines.

That's sounds a little strange. They just came out with a new machine last year.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,927 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera cmpman1974 6 706 08-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: car54
  [CPAP] seeking OLD clinician manual - Fisher & Paykel HC211 hamiltzp 0 381 07-28-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: hamiltzp
  Stats from old Fisher & Paykel HC234? Marty McSly 3 657 12-19-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Marty McSly
  [CPAP] What does this mean on my Fisher Paykel icon+ annoyed 1 615 11-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  fischer & paykel hc221 richyrich 10 4,529 09-16-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Nailer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.