Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth even though humidifier is at max setting
Dry mouth even though humidifier is at max setting
Does anyone have any suggestions to combat dry mouth, especially gums? My (heated) humidifier is already at the maximum level (6.0). I put vaseline on my gums before I put the mask on, which helps a bit, but I'm wondering if there is some other trick I haven't heard of before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth even though humidifier is at max setting
There is a product called Biotene. It's a mouthwash that is supposed to help keep your mouth from drying out. I've never tried it but others have posted favorable comments about it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the biotene. It seems to help a little but I have to turn up the humidity too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2013, 09:22 AM)user12345 Wrote: I put vaseline on my gums before I put the mask on, which helps a bit, but I'm wondering if there is some other trick I haven't heard of before.

Hi user12345, welcome to the forum!

I suspect Vaseline is not meant to be ingested and could be dangerous to your long term health. Any Vaseline which is put on the inside of your mouth eventually would get ingested, I think. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

By the way, if you are using a ClimateLine heated hose and if your machine's climate control is set to Auto, I think your humidity setting of "6" will be ignored, and the humidity level would be controlled by the Hose Temperature setting, with the highest temperature giving the highest humidity.

Also, large Leak will cause all the water to be used up too quickly, so use the Mask Fit feature (and keep an eye on your Leak reported by ResScan if your machine is data-capable) if the water is getting used up before you wake up.

Take care,
---Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you use Biotene, but are you using all the products? They work to supplement each other. The gel you can put on the tip of your tongue and gently place on the roof of your mouth behind your front teeth. Be careful to leave it undisturbed during the night and it will gradually release moisture.
That and the humidity properly adjusted may help. Good luck.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Too much humidity can cause the same symptoms as too little.

Then there's also asking your doctor (any, does not have to be sleep doc) or pharmacist if any medication you are taking could be attributing to it.

And, really, Vaseline? That's not good for you at all. It is a petroleum product and is being absorbed into your system the fastest way possible other than direct I.V.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist about any other product that can help with the dryness.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 350 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.