Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Five Zeros
RE: Five Zeros
(01-27-2016, 11:51 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I've had nights with an AHI of zero before, happens fairly frequently. That would be three zeros: zero obstructive, zero hypopneas and zero clear airway events. Sleepyhead also flags two "user event flags" and every time without fail that I've got the three zeroes there were always a few of these events.

Until last night. AHI 0, no user flag 1 and no user flag 2. Five zeros.

My machine doesn't flag RERA's. Has anyone out there had six zeroes?

Can we form a club or something?

Still woke up to visit the loo twice so only 98% on "myair".

Ed,
I had one zero in the last 14 days, and as much as 3 in a 14 day period .
For me I get my best results if I can keep the leaks down, I blame the velcro wearing out on the head gear for a lot of those leaks.
Great Job!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I've actually had four AHI zeros in the last five days, but only the one with no user flags. This seems to be due to my using the replacement mask better and I upped my pressures while narrowing the range. Took me awhile to figure this out, because when I set it to 7 to 15 (as advised by my DME) it would top out at 15 quickly and stay there and with my original mask it would leak like crazy. I ended up going to straight CPAP at 7.0 and my AHI was still low and the mask didn't leak.

Now however with the new mask (same brand and model just new) I am running 9.8 to 15.2 and the flat topping has stopped. My median last night was 11.08 and 95% of the time I was under 14.3. It seems that running these machines wide open is a mistake - at least for me. Bringing the start level up seems to have made this work better.

But even though my AHI was 0 it wasn't a good night since I was up to pee four times and the longest single stretch was only 3.9 hours.

I see the urologist on Tuesday, with the hopes that he can help with the nocturia.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, running these machines wide open is a mistake, but we see that a lot on this forum.
I was sent home with a setting of 4-20. It took me awhile to figure it all out. I still play with settings, but not so much now. I think I have my range narrowed down and it works for me.

Ed, good luck with your doctor appt.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great results Ed. Well done. I get 1 or 2 0.0 nights per month but I'd have to go back and see if any are a 6 zero nights. I've learned that how I feel in the AM is a much better barometer of my treatment than AHI. In fact, at the upcoming sleep apnea conference there will be a discussion of whether AHI is the right metric to follow for OSA treatment.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2016, 01:05 PM)sonicboom Wrote: Great results Ed. Well done. I get 1 or 2 0.0 nights per month but I'd have to go back and see if any are a 6 zero nights. I've learned that how I feel in the AM is a much better barometer of my treatment than AHI. In fact, at the upcoming sleep apnea conference there will be a discussion of whether AHI is the right metric to follow for OSA treatment.

I agree AHI is pretty crude. What seems to matter most to me is getting at least one four hour stretch of sleep.

Last night I had 5.68 hours before my first wake up and then another 1.68 before finally getting up. My AHI was 0 for the fourth night in a row, but did have one user flag two, so only four zeros.

Felt pretty good this morning and I walked about a mile all told attending a weekly breakfast and then doing a little shopping, so walked back with a bit of a load. That mile doesn't include all that walking around in the Supermaket. Took a nap around 3:00 - I don't use the machine for the nap but hook a canula to the tube from the oxygen concentrator and use that.

I think the many arisings the other night were caused by my taking in some extra caffeine in the afternoon. I guess that should teach me something.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2016, 07:13 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Agree, running these machines wide open is a mistake, but we see that a lot on this forum.

With my first simplus mask I couldn't get it go go over 12 without leaking. I got a new one in December and that worked well for some reason or other. Except it developed a tear in the bottom part of the silicone which was obviously going to get worse and mess things up, so I phoned the DME and fortunately they gave me a free replacement. So far this one is doing fine, but it's only been in use since Monday.

Anyway with a mask that would seal at the higher pressures I decided to gradually increase my pressures and narrowing the range hoping it would help with the nocturia. I can't be sure it has yet, there appear to be many variables that affect this and I have to get them all right to get the best results.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh so close to 6 zeroes last night. Darn it - UF1 = 1 event; UF2 = 1 event. Not yet in your 6 zero club.

My A10 reports RERAs, yours does not?
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2016, 10:12 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 01:05 PM)sonicboom Wrote: Great results Ed. Well done. I get 1 or 2 0.0 nights per month but I'd have to go back and see if any are a 6 zero nights. I've learned that how I feel in the AM is a much better barometer of my treatment than AHI. In fact, at the upcoming sleep apnea conference there will be a discussion of whether AHI is the right metric to follow for OSA treatment.

I agree AHI is pretty crude. What seems to matter most to me is getting at least one four hour stretch of sleep.

Last night I had 5.68 hours before my first wake up and then another 1.68 before finally getting up. My AHI was 0 for the fourth night in a row, but did have one user flag two, so only four zeros.

Felt pretty good this morning and I walked about a mile all told attending a weekly breakfast and then doing a little shopping, so walked back with a bit of a load. That mile doesn't include all that walking around in the Supermaket. Took a nap around 3:00 - I don't use the machine for the nap but hook a canula to the tube from the oxygen concentrator and use that.

I think the many arisings the other night were caused by my taking in some extra caffeine in the afternoon. I guess that should teach me something.

Granted we are all different, but I've found recently that abstaining from anything with caffeine in it after 2 or 3 p.m. seems to help with nocturia and also my blood pressure has improved. I was also surprised to find that a single piece of chocolate candy has enough caffeine in it to keep me awake at night for a while.

My husband, who does not suffer from sleep apnea, was bothered by nocturia 4-5 times a night. He saw the Urologist and it turns out that he has enlarged prostate. He received treatment for that and now only gets up once a night. Good Luck at your doctor visit.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2016, 01:57 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: My husband, who does not suffer from sleep apnea, was bothered by nocturia 4-5 times a night. He saw the Urologist and it turns out that he has enlarged prostate. He received treatment for that and now only gets up once a night. Good Luck at your doctor visit.

I saw the Urologist last month. The prostrate, he said, was not unusually large for someone of my age. They have me scheduled for a procedure at the end of this month to image my bladder from the inside, putting a camera up a path I would normally consider not to be possible for a camera to go.

In the meantime I'm trying various things without notable success, although last night I had only one wakeup for the first time in weeks and weeks. And a zero AHI but one user flag, so no five zeroes.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP certainly helps with nocturia. I've gone from 3-4 visits to one single one. Nil visits is the aim!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Zeros in a row! nelamvr6 15 3,009 11-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.