Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fixed CPAP Pressure 6
Fixed CPAP Pressure 6
Hi again guy's,

I have found that my pressure setting of 6 to be quite strong. When i wear my mask the air is really cold and definitely feels like it is giving me the pressure i felt regularly when i woke during my titration study at home. The pressure was automatically set at 4-18 for two weeks, and i used to wake during the night with the same feeling i am getting now with the fixed pressure of 6. So i must have woken at that pressure?

So i think the pressure of 6 is where maybe my data showed i doing good on i don't know, It will take a bit of getting used to. I must say i do find it powerful enough! Do any of you guy's get that feeling when you use your CPAP?

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixed CPAP Pressure 6
Are you using a humidifier?
What model is the machine you are using? Remstar Auto A-Flex could be anything from a M-series to a 550 or 650. What is it?
Your profile indicates you're not using software. How can you make adjustments or determine their efficacy without looking? Get some software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often wake up with the mask leaking a bit and the pressure a bit higher than normal - and flow mostly just the machine trying to compensate for the leak. During these moments I haven't tried to read what the machine is saying ... I'm unsure whether the display is updated as the machine changes pressure in AUTO-P mode... it may just show the setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the machine usually does display the pressure it is at, at the moment you are looking. If it happens to be ramping up, it will steadily change.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 12:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Are you using a humidifier?
What model is the machine you are using? Remstar Auto A-Flex could be anything from a M-series to a 550 or 650. What is it?
Your profile indicates you're not using software. How can you make adjustments or determine their efficacy without looking? Get some software.

Agree with Sleeprider,
Don't know how you determine pressure settings without looking at data. Thinking-about
You can request the clinical manual for your machine (top of page), that is once you know what model machine you are using!

Then download SleepyHead. Do you know what your AHI reading is?

Also, it is hard to help you because you keep starting new threads with the same questions.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a hard time understanding this, because I have a pressure of 10-14, and before I doze off, I actually have to pull the mask away to even know for sure that the machine is on. IOW, it bothers me not in the least. No EPR, no ramp, nothing. That a straight pressure of 6 is even perceptible boggles my mind, because a starting pressure of 10 is barely perceptible to me.

But it could be the mask. Much of what we want in a mask is comfort around the nose, mouth, headgear, etc. But how the mask is constructed can also affect the airflow. The physical shape of the mask will cause more or less Venturi effect turbulence depending on that construction, and possibly that turbulence is what is annoying rather than the pressure or airflow itself. One mask may cause less of this turbulence than a different mask, and even two masks that are similar, such as the Swift FX and the Airfit P10, can have noticeable differences in how perceptible the airflow is, even at the same low pressure.

So, I would try a different mask. The A10 seems to not cause these problems at all, in my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 12:17 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote: So i think the pressure of 6 is where maybe my data showed i doing good on[ly] i don't know, It will take a bit of getting used to. I must say i do find it powerful enough! Do any of you guy's get that feeling when you use your CPAP?

A pressure of 6 can feel strong when we are just starting CPAP therapy. But we get used to it.

In future, if you ever feel like you are not getting enough air, like it is slightly too hard to breath *in* enough air, like you are feeling slightly smothered from the low pressure, just ask for the pressure to be raised by another cmH2O, so that you are not uncomfortable.

You should definitely ask for a full copy of the report which was sent to your doctor (preferably including sleep data) from the titration. You have a right to a copy, for your own records.

Get a copy of your prescription, too. Again, for your own records. You may need it some day.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.