Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night?
Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night?
Hi there. It's clear that sleeping on my left side results in the best therapy. Right-side is less effective, supine (on my back) is very ineffective (but very comfortable), and prone (stomach) is almost impossible with the mask on.

I've managed to find an effective way to force myself to sleep on my left side all night long by wearing a backpack full of blankets. The problem is, sleeping in a fixed position gets very uncomfortable after a few hours. I can do micro-adjustments here and there, but eventually I have no choice but to untie the backpack and roll on my right side even if just for a few minutes before rolling back onto my left side.

My mattress firmness is perfect for a side-sleeper, so there's no much room for improvement there.

Has any of you managed to find a way to spend all night long on the same position?

Also, being able to sleep on my back would be awesome as I find it to be the most comfortable position. Do you think that increasing EPAP Min and EPAP Max might help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night?
If you post an Oscar screen shot folks will be better able to advise you. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been able to sleep on my side in the same position all night. It is a result of long training and my device, see the " Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea," post
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper and no way could I lay in one position all night long. Can't stand to lay on my back and face down has never been an option. 

If I lay on my side for more then a couple of hours, I'm doing good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found a pillow between my knees makes a big difference with having to sleep in my side. It's not perfect but it helps.

Lisa
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had to left side sleep, especially with my major back pain and acid reflux. I have the advantage of sleeping on my adjustable hospital bed with an alternating pressure low air loss mattress. I rarely back sleep.

The catch is I'm not with any Apnea machine right now either.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2024, 07:40 PM)G. Szabo Wrote: I have been able to sleep on my side in the same position all night. It is a result of long training and my device, see the " Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea," post

That's encouraging. How long did it take you until you felt comfortable sleeping on the same position all night long? Thanks for the device recommendation too!

(03-14-2024, 09:04 PM)TechieHippie Wrote: I've found a pillow between my knees makes a big difference with having to sleep in my side. It's not perfect but it helps.

Lisa

Yes, I've tried that too, and it does relieve the pressure on the knees, but it makes finding the right position of the outer ankle harder. Perhaps another pillow between the ankles might be the solution. Isn't that a problem for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2024, 09:59 PM)Unkikonki Wrote: How long did it take you until you felt comfortable sleeping on the same position all night long?

It took about four months. Initially, you would switch one to two times during the night between sleeping on your right side and your left side. Then, eventually, you would stay on your left side.

Most importantly, get a soft mattress and start putting memory foam layers on top of it. I needed a minimum of two layers, one inch thick each. This will be gentle on your shoulder and make compliance easier. It's a bit pricy, but it is a lifetime investment.

Also, you want to keep your head on the left side (not only your posture), even better, a bit face down. For this, a CPAP pillow for side sleepers is suitable, with dimples on its edges for your mask. You need to fine-tune its thickness by putting towel layers under it inside the pillow cover. Your spouse might check the needed towel layers while you are on the actual memory foam and ensure that your neck is aligned with your spine. 

Best
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 20 765 Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 243 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 113 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 278 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 433 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 239 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,144 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.