Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fixed pressure or variable
Fixed pressure or variable
I recently after my initial trail with a resmed apap s9 machine had the pressure set to 11. Since then I have been mouth breathing much more, very dry mouth and snoring. I hadnt been snoring during the trial. I use a nasal mask. Should I go back to variable pressures?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixed pressure or variable
Your post indicates no reason to do so.

Please fill out your profile.

And, Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi checbenj,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!!

With the information you posted, you can try any of many chinstraps to help with the mouth open issue.

More info would lead someone to help you further if needed.

ChuckSleep-well

(02-20-2016, 09:52 AM)checbenj Wrote: I recently after my initial trail with a resmed apap s9 machine had the pressure set to 11. Since then I have been mouth breathing much more, very dry mouth and snoring. I hadnt been snoring during the trial. I use a nasal mask. Should I go back to variable pressures?

Post Reply Post Reply
Checbenji--I'm wondering how long was your trial period--a couple nights, a week or longer? Snoring while on CPAP is not good. It indicates something is definitely amiss. Using a nasal mask, Ginzo's thought of adding a chinstrap would be a good idea to keep your mouth closed and eliminate snoring and dry mouth. Either a chinstrap with a nasal mask or try a full face mask to address those problems.
If your trial was on an APAP, that indicates its pressure was set to a particular range, not to a single pressure of 11. It may be that the trial machine was a ResMed S9, but not the Autoset model. The S9 Autoset can provide a range of pressures, but other models such as the S9 Elite provide only one, constant pressure. IMO an APAP machine won't solve the dry mouth/snoring problem, which comes from mouth breathing.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your replies. My trial was 3 weeks. It was auto set variable pressures. I may try a chin strap. I wonder why if during the variable pressures I did not have overly dry mouth or snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2016, 12:39 PM)checbenj Wrote: Thank you for your replies. My trial was 3 weeks. It was auto set variable pressures. I may try a chin strap. I wonder why if during the variable pressures I did not have overly dry mouth or snoring.

Greetings,

May I assume you are using the humidifier? If not, this may solve the problem.

My opinion: Use variable pressure!! I have done both and MUCH prefer the variable pressure. Think about this: during the day when you are sitting down, do you breath at the same rate and depth the entire time you are sitting down? Do your lungs fill to the same amount with each breath? I doubt it. Same thing goes for when you are asleep.

Makes sense to me to have the variable setting so the APAP can adjust to what YOU need, not what was sent once during a sleep study.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
checbenji--I've been thinking about your question and have a thought as to possibly why you did better on the APAP machine during your 3-week trial. The snoring that started back on your CPAP machine, if I understand correctly, may have been triggered by a too low pressure. Here's why I suggest this possibility. My initial sleep study titration indicated a CPAP pressure of 7cm. A couple years later, my wife began giving me reports about snoring inside the mask. A visit to the sleep doc led to another sleep study which found my pressure needs had increased into the teens. So, I'm thinking about the pressure of 11 turning out to be somewhat on the low side for you. The APAP machine had the ability to recognize this and provide more pressure which could eliminate the snoring (if the the pressure range on the APAP was set to a range with a top end above 11cm). As for the dry mouth, as was mentioned, it could be due to either having no humidifier or having one but not set high enough.
Again, these are just possibilities based on my own experience.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your support. I have just started with the airsense 10 autoset. I am sure I will post additional questions and comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 09:50 AM)checbenj Wrote: Thank you everyone for your support. I have just started with the airsense 10 autoset. I am sure I will post additional questions and comments.

May I suggest that you download the Sleepyhead software available to you.
This way when, or if you do have questions, we would have something to gauge our responses by.

http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Variable Breathing question... Jaymz2727 1 414 10-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.