Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FlashAir runs HOT - is this a problem?
Question 
FlashAir runs HOT - is this a problem?
I have a new FlashAir and have been reading numerous threads here on it's usage. It has been said that one reason to use it is that the XPAP SD reader is not a robust part and will fail with too much usage because it was designed to only remove the card when one reports to the doctor. So not having to remove and replace daily will improve the longevity of the unit.
However, I notice the FlashAir runs very hot and to have it installed and powered 24/7 is not in line with the original design concept of using it in a camera and having it timeout after some number of milliseconds so as not to use up the battery. In the camera usage then, it is generating a hot environment for the camera and for the card for very short amounts of time. It seems like an issue to have that much heat generated in a cheap XPAP part that is not robust to begin with and is not designed to take heat.
My question is... Now that there are folks who have been using the FlashAir in their XPAP for some time and with it powered 24/7, how are your SD card readers holding up? Are you seeing a failure rate?
Or any other thoughts on this concern of mine.[/u]
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FlashAir runs HOT - is this a problem?
My card has been sitting in the machine for a couple of weeks now. I popped it out and it seemed only slightly warm.

I have in the past had a micro SD card get extremely hot, but it was in a laptop computer not the Resmed machine. I noticed the top of the laptop getting very hot over the card and on popping it out it almost burned me. That card was completely unreadable in any of my machines so I tossed it out.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have not had heat issues to this point. Been using it now for some time (Since Dec 2014).

How far is your CPAP from the Access Point? Does the CPAP have good clearance around it?
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed my flashair gets a little warm but not that bad. Certainly not hot enough to burn. No issues with it yet. I have the W-03 version.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies. Based on your experiences I exchanged my FlashAir for another and the new one runs much cooler. It only heats up on transmit. No worriesSmile
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 07:55 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: Thanks for your replies. Based on your experiences I exchanged my FlashAir for another and the new one runs much cooler. It only heats up on transmit. No worriesSmile

Anything that has a radio transmitter in it usually gets a bit warm but certainly not hot enough to burn. Just feel how warm your wifi router gets after streaming video or files for half an hour or so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.