Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flashair Card Overheating
Flashair Card Overheating
I got a Toshiba W-03 Flashair card to use. It works great in my Dreamstation, so I got another to use in my backup Respironics System One 560 APAP. Card shows good when inserted, but after an hour or so, machine starts beeping, and message about card is corrupted appears. When I remve card, it is hot (well, very warm) . If I leave it out for a few hours, I can start again, but after an hour, it repeats the corrupt card. Tried the same card in my Dreamstation, and all worked fine. Any suggestions?
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flashair Card Overheating
Try swapping the cards in each machine to see if the problem follows the card or the machine. Secondly, Are both machine the same distance from your access point? Distance seems to have an effect on heat.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have 2 flashair cards. Both do the same thing. Work fine in Dreamstation, but beep nad go corrupt and get hot in System One.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would then venture a guess that the System One unit has a power problem for the SD card. This could be a resistance in the power contacts of the SD card slot or the unit's inability to supply the required power. I'm sorry that I can't be of any further help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be. It works fine with a regular SD card though.
Post Reply Post Reply
A regular SD card's power requirement is considerably less since it doesn't need to power a wireless transceiver.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2017, 12:39 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: A regular SD card's power requirement is considerably less since it doesn't need to power a wireless transceiver.

Well, although it's true that the wifi circuits will require extra power, I doubt if it's the cause of this problem.  The extra power the card uses is very low, a few milliwatts.  As long as the extra power can dissipate the card will remain cool, for example the wireless SD card in my Resmed machine stays quite cool - I just checked.

The OP, if I recall correctly, said that his cards stay cool in one machine and get too hot in another.  That suggests that one machine is feeding too much power into the card for it to dissipate, or that it's temperature sensor is faulty. 

I have seen this overheating with USB 3 Flash Drives which can get quite hot if the computer feeds too much power into them.  Cheapo external USB hubs with their own power supplies seem rspecially be prone to this.

So I would say it's the fault of the machine that heats the card up.  This can be tested by putting a regular SD card in that one and seeing if it overheats.  Even if it doesn't I would still fault the machine design since and SD slot is supposed to support any SD card.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, plain SD card works fine. Guess I'll just use the flash air in the Dreamstation.

John W2AGN
Post Reply Post Reply
one thing that you could try is:
turn the wifi-card into an access-point and shutdown the wifi-function if not needed.

https://flashair-developers.com/en/docum...PPAUTOTIME

downside: you have to unplug your machine and repower it to get access to the data
upside: if no device connects in the given timeframe your flashair card will act as a "normal" sd-card, noone can access your device, no em-transmissions etc.

maybe this helps with your "heat" problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, not a programmer here, but from what you say, doing this will mean I won't be able to access my data wirelessly?  That kind of makes it more sense to just use a regular SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 946 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,998 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Helpful info re Toshiba Flashair Keljian 6 1,643 03-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [CPAP] FlashAir III w/ PR System 1 A-Flex markn62 11 2,599 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Last Post: markn62
Question Cannot map network drive for Toshiba FlashAir SD card mumug 13 5,458 02-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Last Post: MitchS
  Flashair SD poor connection to router after power failure Roy289 5 1,894 08-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Ohmy Does overheating cause sleep apnea? woozie38 12 6,612 07-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: woozie38

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.