Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flomax (Tamsulosin) and CPAP
Flomax (Tamsulosin) and CPAP
I take Flomax (Tamsulosin) for BPH. I am also on CPAP. One of the side effects is a stuffy nose and it makes it hard to breath through your nose. I have tried prescription nose drops before bed and also Claratin-D. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any solution that works. I use a full face mask. Regards, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flomax (Tamsulosin) and CPAP
If you use a full face mask, just breathe through your mouth.

Usually, a CPAP will help clear blocked nose if due to fluid and not swelling.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thanks. It does not clear the fluid in my case. I do breathe thru my mouth but it gets very dry. I was hoping for a solution to clear the nose if there is one. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2012, 10:47 AM)BobF Wrote: I take Flomax (Tamsulosin) for BPH. I am also on CPAP. One of the side effects is a stuffy nose and it makes it hard to breath through your nose. I have tried prescription nose drops before bed and also Claratin-D. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any solution that works. I use a full face mask. Regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,

I don't take Flomax but according to some of the side effects and possible side effects, you'd probably be best served to not take Claritin-D or or nasal sprays since they can also cause nasal dryness which exacerbates your sinus problem.

Instead, try turning-up your humidifier, this will help to allow mucus to flow into your stomach like it normally should or if you continue to breathe through your mouth it will help to keep your throat moist or at least less dry.

You didn't mention whether you have a ClimateLine hose attached or not, if you do, you can switch to manual mode instead of automatic, then set the hose temperature to several degrees above the room temperature and then try your humidifier setting at 5 or higher.

If you don't have a ClimateLine hose you can potentially get rainout by running the humidity this high so you'll have to test the different settings to see how high you can go without getting rainout, how low you keep your room temperature plays a big part of the equation here, the cooler the room the more potential for rainout at higher humidity levels.

I know myself and others here use a high humidity level to prevent nasal stuffiness, I'm currently set at 5.5 humidity and 78 degrees on my ClimateLine hose and I no longer suffer from nasal congestion like I did for most of my life.

Here's a link to an excellent article to help un-stuff your stuffy nose: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2012, 01:10 PM)BobF Wrote: Hi Thanks. It does not clear the fluid in my case. I do breathe thru my mouth but it gets very dry. I was hoping for a solution to clear the nose if there is one. Bob.

Oh, duh. Yeah, I guess it does!

Werkz humidity option may be your best option.

I would assume you have discussed this with your doctor?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all. Thanks for all the excellent info and advice. I don't have the Climateline. My doctor has prescribed a nasal spray that's better than the one I took before. He recommended a higher humidity level. So far it seems to help. Regards, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend Rhinocort (Budesonidum 64 mg) if you must use a nasal spray long term. Unlike most sprays, there is no danger of hard return of symptom, bounce back or other side effects, and if you combine it with regularly rinsing your nose out with salt water you should maintain a healthy nasal environment without much difficulty.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.