Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flood of centrals
Flood of centrals
Guys
Been on CPAP with Resmed Airsense 10 and P10 pillows for shortly over year. Had my ups and downs and been royally helped on here. Lately (since April) things have been great with typically min 5 hours uninterrupted sleep (up to 8 hours) and AHI always < 5 (usually < 3).
I review data with Sleepy Head and Resmed. On a couple of nights recently I've noticed I have had episodes lasting maybe 10 mins where I have had 'events' which had peaked AHI up to 9 or so but this average comes down, always below 5 by morning.
This morning I was shocked to see AHI of 8.8! I had long sleep last night which is unusual but I noticed for the last hour I had a huge flood of central apnea's. Well Resmed reported them as central, SleepyHead reported as Clear Airway. This last hour I am often awake so unusual to remain asleep. I don't remember dreaming or struggling etc.
Attached is printout. Should I be worried? Whats causes centrals? I know its only one night in an otherwise great record but I tend too worry - sorry.

Thanks in advance

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flood of centrals
Hi ehunter,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. There are several things that can cause "Centrals" in someone otherwise diagnosed and being treated for Obstructive Apnea. My first guess is that what you are seeing is what we commonly call "sleep wake junk". It occurs when one is falling asleep or just waking up. When one is awake breathing is controlled by conscious mechanisms amd when asleep by autonomic systems. The changeover can produce aberrant breathing patterns. The other common cause is CO2 washout that raises blood pH and makes the brain think that you have done enough breathing. CO2 washout is commonly caused by the differential between EPAP and IPAP. Bringing the EPAP setting closer to IPAP can reduce CO2 washout. Pressure relief on straight CPAP machines has the same effect as a lower EPAP setting. Now given that your cluster of Centrals is near the time you woke up, I would suggest that what you experienced was sleep wake junk. If you see more of this you could raise your EPAP setting closer to your IPAP setting. Do this in stages .5 or 1 Cm H2O at a time. One caveat is that Congestive Heart Failure is a cause of an increase in Centrals and Periodic Breathing. You would generally see a more distributed rise in Centrals if this were the case. Keep an eye on your Centrals because they can be diagnostic for CHF. Good luck with your treatment.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the detailed response Rich

I don't think (hope) its CHF! Only earlier this year I had some extensive cardiac tests - stressed ECG, ultrasound, CT scan etc - all were really good.

Sorry but Im not familiar with the terms IPAP and EPAP. My machine does auto pressure control. Is this the pressure range? I always considered my treatment range quite flat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ehunter,
For your reading pleasure.... Smile

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions

EPAP - (Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure) - The pressure prescribed for the expiratory (breathing out) phase of an individual on Bi-level CPAP therapy for OSA (obstructive sleep apnea).
IPAP - Inspiratory Positive Airway Pressure. The pressure prescribed by a physician for the inspiratory phase on a Bi-level CPAP device, used in the treatment of OSA.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The setting Rich is referring to is called EPR on your machine.

My guess is that with an unusually long sleep, your last hour was of very shallow sleep which produced a lot of sleep/wake junk as your brain drifted between barely asleep and barely awake. I tend to lay in bed like this on weekends and my AHI for the last hour is all over the map.
Post Reply Post Reply
This appears to be an issue with me too. Always half awake/sleep. I am hoping for it to be pressure related. I am going to see Dr. tomorrow for ECG and Holter monitor. I too, do not think I have any heart issues but then again something is causing this. I am anxious to hear all the replies.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reassurance guys. It was kind of what Zi was thinking.
Last night I went to bed at 10, same a previous but this time woke at 4:30. AHI back down to 2.8.
When Ive seen these episodes (never as long as example posted) I always felt likely to be just "twilight" period of restlessness. Maybe just law of probability I should have one just before waking and so have higher average AHI.
Will review more data and see!
Kerp up the good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=2871][attachment=2870]Guys, Update!
Had another couple of high AHI nights. Didn't panic but when I came to download data, noticed on one particularly high AHI night. When I checked data, AHI got as high as 30, all centrals and Sleepyhead reports period of Cheyne Stokes breathing! Googled this and scared the whatnot out of myself! Will send report to sleep doc but also thought I'd share on here. Its only happening occasionally, these flood of centrals late in my sleep, but this is first and so far only time of Cheyne Stokes.
What does this mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
More info.....
Discussing this with my partner on both recent "periods" of these high centrals, its been broadly aligned with having cold/cough. First time was at the end of a really nasty 2 week cold. This week I've very dry feeling chest and tickle cough though not bothersome. Could this be linked?

I really don't believe I have congestive heart failure. In first quarter of year had extensive cardiac tests, recently had chest CT scan which was clear. Also been exercising last couple of months and getting much fitter and lighter!
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been taking Phenergan? Do you take it every night?
Do you experience the clear airway events only when you take this medication?

There may be some correlation between the meds and CA events. This is something to discuss with your sleep doctor.

I also wonder if you are rolling over on your back during the time you see the CA events?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,801 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 121 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 409 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 691 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,087 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.