Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flooded VAUTO
Flooded VAUTO
I'm looking for advice on dealing with a VAUTO that has ingested water from a leaky water chamber. Details below:

I have an Airsense 10 VAUTO and the water chamber developed a leak the other night leaking its entire contents into the VAUTO and onto the nightstand. At first, I thought I tipped over my water bottle in the night, a day later I figured out that it was the water chamber. Luckily I had a new water chamber container on hand so I thought the problem was solved. This morning I had a red warning on the display indicating that the humidification system had an error and was turned off. Tipping the machine led to several tablespoons of water dripping out of the seams where the machine is screwed together on its bottom. I bought the machine new on 5/19.

I'm moderately handy so not averse to trying some disassembly to try to dry it out. Luckily I kept my old machine so I have a spare to use.

Thanks

Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flooded VAUTO
Hi CaptPat!  -  Welcome

Luckily, most if not all electronics are at or above the water level.  The short is probably being caused by the humidifier heating element.   I think I would take the CPAP, minus the humidifier tank,  outside in the sun and raise the end that contains the SD card, to allow the water to drain. Let it sit there for the day and then test it. It may take a little longer to dry out than expected, and you will need to repeat this process.

On another note:  On machine identification, a VAuto is a Resmed AirCurve 10 Bi-level CPAP.  An AirSense 10 can be an Autoset (for her), Elite, or CPAP model.

Good luck on getting it dried out.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2022, 09:39 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi CaptPat!  -  Welcome

Luckily, most if not all electronics are at or above the water level.  The short is probably being caused by the humidifier heating element.   I think I would take the CPAP, minus the humidifier tank,  outside in the sun and raise the end that contains the SD card, to allow the water to drain.  Let it sit there for the day and then test it.  It may take a little longer to dry out than expected, and you will need to repeat this process.

On another note:  On machine identification, a VAuto is a Resmed AirCurve 10 Bi-level CPAP.  An AirSense 10 can be an Autoset (for her), Elite, or CPAP model.

- Red
Thanks

I’ve updated my profile to properly ID the machine.

I was able to disassemble the humidifier area, there was a fair amount of water remaining that I removed.  The electrical connector on the heating element is a bit discolored, hopefully the fuse is okay (no discoloration there).  The machine is now drying out.    Hopefully that will do the trick.  The design seems pretty well thought out in that it is difficult for water in the chamber to make it into the electronics of the machine.

Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2022, 09:39 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi CaptPat!  -  Welcome

Luckily, most if not all electronics are at or above the water level.  The short is probably being caused by the humidifier heating element.   I think I would take the CPAP, minus the humidifier tank,  outside in the sun and raise the end that contains the SD card, to allow the water to drain.  Let it sit there for the day and then test it.  It may take a little longer to dry out than expected, and you will need to repeat this process.

- Red
Thanks

I’ve updated my profile to properly ID the machine.

I was able to disassemble the humidifier area, there was a fair amount of water remaining that I removed.  The electrical connector on the heating element is a bit discolored, hopefully the fuse is okay (no discoloration there).  The machine is now drying out.    Hopefully that will do the trick.  The design seems pretty well thought out in that it is difficult for water in the chamber to make it into the electronics of the machine.

Pat
Post Reply Post Reply
The fuse is the most common problem when the humidifier chamber fails. You should be able to check continuity across the fuse to see if it is going to be okay or if you need a new fuse in the circuit. Here is a link to the humidifier fuse fix https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ResMed+AirS...ent/137047
The fuse is a Zephyr Micro Thermal Fuse 120° C. I found some on Amazon rated at 117. https://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Micro-Ther...6NWNF?th=1
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@sleeprider

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
So I believe the first water chamber developed a small leak on the bottom that allowed water to leak onto the humidifier heating pad. This probably has been going on for some time and at first, the leak was too small to draw a detailed inspection, I thought I was just sloppy on installation and removal spilling some water out. I think over time the hole got big enough that the entire contents of the water chamber leaked over ~8 hrs. When I tested it, it was leaking just sitting on the vanity top.

This was a RESMED dishwasher-safe water chamber that's been through the dishwasher several times in its lifetime. AFAIK it hasn't been dropped or abused. I'll hand wash the new going forward. The fuse for the heating pad checked out fine and I'll be reassembling the unit today, hopefully, the "humidifier isn't working" message will be gone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 570 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 472 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 142 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 731 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,363 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.