Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Chart pattern- Snoring?
Flow Chart pattern- Snoring?
This flow rate appearance- does this reflect a type of snoring? I see nothing on the accompanying snoring graph at the corresponding time frame. If you see anything else of note on the graph data to suggest a settings change for me, let me know. Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Chart pattern- Snoring?
I'm guessing expiratory snoring, but the snore session stats are 0.0
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is picking up some kind of resonance on your exhale, its like your exhaling through flem or something that creates a sound wave. Is this like on all your charts or just today? Snoring charts show similar characteristics as you mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
These graphs are similar with flow limitation, and the last graph looks similiar to yours too.

[attachment=26560]

Not sure why the snore stats are zero though.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pattern is expiratory snoring, and it is not very common. Resmed must only count inspiratory snoring which is more related to inspiratory flow limitation and obstruction, and the machine algorithm increases pressure for those conditions. At 9.4 to 12.4 EPR 2 your flow limits are acceptably low. During the period of this zoom, the machine is not respond to the expiration anomalies and is decreasing pressure. If this is not a common feature of your sleep, ignore it. If it happens frequently, try to assess the pressure conditions where it occurs to see if there is a pattern. If pressure is normally low when it happens, an appropriate response may be to increase minimum pressure.

Take a look at your data for any patterns and let us know what you find.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
looks like snoring & probably is but it could also be something like Canuck2 describes or vocalization like a moan or groan. a snore app or other sound triggered audio recorder would help figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t see where there is anything to change. Good therapy
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking back at my prior sleep sessions data, this peculiar flow rate pattern has occurred at multiple different min-max-epr settings. It typically occurs for no more than 5% of the total sleep time, and usually in deep sleep later in the night. Importantly, I am not aroused from sleep. I'm wondering if the pattern could be caused by partially-closed mouth breathing within my F30i full face mask resulting in a fluttering of my lips or mask cushion? Could also be related to a shifted positioning of the cushion's nasal holes, overlapping a nostril, etc resulting in a flutter. It is evident on the mask tracing graph as well. Likely inconsequential to my therapy. It does not become more or less evident with near max pressure increases. I uploaded a 2 minute screenshot of my normal flow rate pattern for comparison. I will monitor. Thanks to all for the input.

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on limited time and inconsistent therapy conditions, search “Catathrenia”
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2020, 03:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Based on limited time and inconsistent therapy conditions, search “Catathrenia”

Very interesting. I did look back through recent sleep sessions data and I do not see a breath-hold-after-inspiration. All the OA's and CA's look fairly typical with the "no breathing' following both inspiration and expiration. Before starting sleep apnea therapy, I do recall once waking myself up startled with an unusual relatively loud high-pitched squeak sound with exhalation, and apparently that does happen for some with Catathrenia. With no clear breath holding after inspiration on my flow rate graphs, we can't make a diagnosis, but nonetheless, I could be on the mild side of the Catathrenia spectrum. I do have a somewhat "small" oropharynx/upper airway according to my sleep MD. I definitely could be having expiratory vocalization sounds, squeaks, groans, related to my vocal cords corresponding to the expiratory snore abnormalities. Sleep apnea treatment for obstructive apnea remains the focus of therapy. Thanks for the heads up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 217 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 13 30 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 301 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,605 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 235 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.