Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Flow Limitation Numbers
Hi All, doing good with downloading my data into SH.
I had a question about flow limitation. If you see the numbers start trending downwards, might that mean that you may be improving?
Also, if you have congestion in your nose causing decreased airflow through it, would THAT reflect as flow limitation? Good question? I hope so. Lastly, what would be a good number for flow limitation?
And oh yes, would people who don't have SDB have any of this limitation?
Thanks for listening
03-11-2015 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

RE: Flow Limitation Numbers
Congestion in nose, sinus passages, etc. does contribute to flow limitations. Partially chewed food contributes, too - for me it happened a lot before CPAP treatment cleared my nasal passages. As a mouth breather, I was always having to decide between breathing and eating/swallowing. Trading off was the difficult part.

Yes, even someone who has not developed sleep apnea could have sleep disruptions due to excessive flow limitations. Not all of our problems are caused by ceasing breathing, hypoxia. So, an non-apnea sufferer may still have a sleep disorder, and that could cause some of the symptoms like sleepiness, lack of concentration, stress complications.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-11-2015 12:38 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Flow Limitation Numbers
flow limitation is a scoring of the inhalation waveform. Rounded tops indicate good flow; flattened or ragged tops indicate flow limitation.
It is a precursor for OSA -- and the auto machines raise pressure in response to flow limitation.

The scale of zero to one is somewhat arbitrary. A good number would be zero.
However, APAPs use flow limitation to up pressure to aid in averting an OSA event.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 01:55 PM by justMongo.)
03-11-2015 01:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle! neal 5 244 12-01-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: klv329
  Flow Rate Interpretation nadprok 2 220 11-13-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  numbers scottb908 2 233 10-30-2016 10:59 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 351 10-23-2016 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Big variations in nightly AHI numbers JaneAM 22 1,090 09-30-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Pressure] 'AHI numbers too high lbroelofs 4 538 09-05-2016 12:19 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Numbers Good, Still Feeling Bad, What Would SleepyHead Tell Me? crezman 7 667 09-05-2016 06:16 AM
Last Post: cate1898