Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitation Numbers
Flow Limitation Numbers
Hi All, doing good with downloading my data into SH.
I had a question about flow limitation. If you see the numbers start trending downwards, might that mean that you may be improving?
Also, if you have congestion in your nose causing decreased airflow through it, would THAT reflect as flow limitation? Good question? I hope so. Lastly, what would be a good number for flow limitation?
And oh yes, would people who don't have SDB have any of this limitation?
Thanks for listening
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitation Numbers
Congestion in nose, sinus passages, etc. does contribute to flow limitations. Partially chewed food contributes, too - for me it happened a lot before CPAP treatment cleared my nasal passages. As a mouth breather, I was always having to decide between breathing and eating/swallowing. Trading off was the difficult part.

Yes, even someone who has not developed sleep apnea could have sleep disruptions due to excessive flow limitations. Not all of our problems are caused by ceasing breathing, hypoxia. So, an non-apnea sufferer may still have a sleep disorder, and that could cause some of the symptoms like sleepiness, lack of concentration, stress complications.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitation Numbers
flow limitation is a scoring of the inhalation waveform. Rounded tops indicate good flow; flattened or ragged tops indicate flow limitation.
It is a precursor for OSA -- and the auto machines raise pressure in response to flow limitation.

The scale of zero to one is somewhat arbitrary. A good number would be zero.
However, APAPs use flow limitation to up pressure to aid in averting an OSA event.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 74 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 248 2 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,609 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.