Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitation Question
Flow Limitation Question
Had my first night of data with the new machine.

AHI-2.2; AI-1.0; Leak- median was 0.0, 95th percentile was 0.0, max of 6.0. Sleep hours 7.28.

However, in looking at a graph called "Flow Limitation" there were numerous spikes with many large spikes rising to almost the top of the graph. When clicking on them, the highest value was 0.59. Rescan does not provide numerical values on the side of the graph as a reference so I'm not quite sure what the symbols represent. I'm pretty sure the spikes are an impedance to airflow.

Would love to hear from those with a firmer grasp and better insight.

As an FYI: Ramp is set for 20 minutes. EGR is set to medium and 3.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitation Question
Flow limitation (FL) http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/sup...aries.html
This refers to any event that limits the flow of air into your body, due to a blockage (or obstruction) in your upper airway.

Don,t be alarmed, everybody have FL to some extent, your numbers excellent especially leak and sleep hours 7.28.

Increase pressure slightly would improve FL somewhat, but we don,t make changes based one night. If the trend persists, talk to your doctor, he/she knows your medical history

EPR is comfort features, lower it or turn off, if you can do without it, might be just what all needed

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 03:31 PM)zonk Wrote: EPR is comfort features, lower it or turn off, if you can do without it, might be just what all needed

Thank you, Zonk!

Was thinking along those same lines with regard to adjusting the EGR. I'll see how it goes for a couple more nights to see if it's a trend.

In "playing" with the machine, I see EGR has a med and fast setting; I'll probably adjust that first if the trend continues. I tend to breath fast so maybe the machine isn't catching up quickly enough with it set to medium.

Trial and error but so far so good with everything else....
Post Reply Post Reply
Stargeezer:

resmed looks at in inhalation waveform shape and scores it. The numbers are just to give it a numerical score and do not relate to anything quantifiable in units. In ResScan you'll see some "shapes" to the left of the graph. If you try to tune all flow limitation and snore out, you'll over-treat; and perhaps induce pressure related centrals. (Don't overload your reaction wheels!)

And, BTW -- it's EPR. My car has EGR.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 04:11 PM)justMongo Wrote: Stargeezer:

Wow! And I thought I got some great sleep last night!! EGR is def a car thing. Not sure where my mind went on that one! Huh

"Stargeezer" indeed!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 04:21 PM)Stargazer Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 04:11 PM)justMongo Wrote: Stargeezer:

Wow! And I thought I got some great sleep last night!! EGR is def a car thing. Not sure where my mind went on that one! Huh

"Stargeezer" indeed!

Senior moment on Stargeezer... Sorry. That's Mark Williams' handle.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 07:53 AM)justMongo Wrote: Senior moment on Stargeezer... Sorry. That's Mark Williams' handle.

Ha, no worries. Easy mistake to make, in fact, I just tried to sign in with it! Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 297 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 108 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,603 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 89 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.