Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitations, For Her, UARS, etc.
RE: Flow Limitations, For Her, UARS, etc.
(11-02-2019, 01:45 PM)Bumblebee Wrote: Hi All, new to this forum. Can someone please explain to me how you're interpreting flow limitations on the graph? Is it the tops of the inhale curve? They should be consistent and rounded?

Yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update on my progress/lack thereof. 

Switching to the Vauto eliminated flow limitations (VICTORY!). The machine seems to be doing its job. 

However, I'm still challenged to sleep more than 5ish hours a night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I can't figure out why I wake but can't get back to sleep. I do not have an urgent need to use the bathroom. I feel very tired when I wake but have difficulty returning to sleep, if at all. My sleep hygiene remains outstanding, and I'm participating in a Stanford clinical trial for cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia. I no longer stress about not getting enough sleep, but can't help but wonder how my productively and energy would increase if I felt rested. Caffeine and alcohol are not significant in my diet. On the rare occasion when I take a nap, I usually wake after 10 minutes, which seems to be enough rest to get through the remainder of the day. I exercise 1-2 hours daily and generally eat reasonably. I can't help but wonder if my body still struggles with the repercussions of having been sleep-deprived for so many years before finally getting a machine that eliminated the flow limitations. 

Getting a good night's sleep hasn't happened - yet, but I remain committed to getting there. 

Would appreciate any insights and success stories others can share regarding specifics on how they were able to get more sleep by either not waking up or getting back to sleep.

And I've attached last night's charts since people like to look at charts. It's fair to say every night's chart looks similar to below.

.pdf   sleep.pdf (Size: 473.45 KB / Downloads: 11)
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Vauto did its job and obstructive sleep apnea is behind you. That does not guarantee a great full-night of sleep, but it improves the odds. I found myself awake too soon last night and waiting for the oncoming dawn for a few hours. I feel your frustration, but if I had a great answer I'd use it. Just know that insomnia has many potential causes, and many of them lie outside of the realm of positive pressure therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me a few months to consistently sleep through the night, after getting the VAuto and optimizing its settings. So be patient, and see what you can do about all the other factors that can impact sleep quality: exercise, sleep hygiene, diet, etc.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 910 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 151 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 610 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.