Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitations
Flow Limitations
It looks like Flow limitations are a 0 to 1 scale. Flow limitations that are less than 50% seem to be the dominating feature of the majority of my nights. My AHI is low with CPAP - even if I set the pressure to a constant 7 (a 1 night experiment) the AHI is low, but the flow limitations were constant and I felt almost like i had slept without my cpap. Last night I set the min pressure to 8 and knocked out all FL for the first half of the night, and greatly reduced for second half. going to leave it that way for a couple nights to see how it works out... the higher pressure caused my water retention level to raise again, but i slept so well.

I am still not really clear on how flow limitations become obstructions... Did not see a 1 on the FL when an OA was scored, for instance. Would welcome some insight on the entire subject Smile

BTW - saw my sleep doc yesterday and finally got my whole sleep study report. Seems the majority of my AHI was H in the study (for which I barely slept, unfortunately and it was a home study so they cannot tell) I think that FL = H at a certain level???

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitations
I'd like to find out too!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 06:37 PM)DariaVader Wrote: It looks like Flow limitations are a 0 to 1 scale. Flow limitations that are less than 50% seem to be the dominating feature of the majority of my nights. My AHI is low with CPAP - even if I set the pressure to a constant 7 (a 1 night experiment) the AHI is low, but the flow limitations were constant and I felt almost like i had slept without my cpap. Last night I set the min pressure to 8 and knocked out all FL for the first half of the night, and greatly reduced for second half. going to leave it that way for a couple nights to see how it works out... the higher pressure caused my water retention level to raise again, but i slept so well.

I am still not really clear on how flow limitations become obstructions... Did not see a 1 on the FL when an OA was scored, for instance. Would welcome some insight on the entire subject Smile

BTW - saw my sleep doc yesterday and finally got my whole sleep study report. Seems the majority of my AHI was H in the study (for which I barely slept, unfortunately and it was a home study so they cannot tell) I think that FL = H at a certain level???
Conventional wisdom says there are multiple stages of your airway's compromise:
1) When your airflow rate starts decreasing, it shows as flow limitation.
2) it reduces further and typically causes a RERA in most individuals.
3) if RERA is not induced to correct the airway patency, it becomes a hypopnea.
4) If it collapses further, it will become an obstructive event.

You machine (S9) reports all of stage 1 and 2 as flow limitations. Why it doesn't show an FL of 1 before an O event is beyond my level of competence.

The potential reason why you feel like crap at pressure of 7cm is that you are having a bunch of RERAs which correct your airway patency thus avoiding H or O event (so keeping your AHI low). But these RERAs harm your sleep architecture by knocking you out of a deeper sleep stage to a shallower one. When this happens multiple times in the night, you end up spending more time in shallower sleep stages than deeper ones (SWS,REM). And then you don't feel rested in the morning.

You could potentially use your FL no. as a proxy for RERAs. You probably need very little extra pressure to subdue the FL no. after AHI is in treated zone - as you experienced with pushing the pressure to 8.

My 2 cents. I am sure more experienced members will chime in soon.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine software does not evaluate and report events real time. It has the luxury of time to evaluate the flow data and then report events and adjust pressure. An H that graduates over time to an A will be reported as an A. If it doesn't graduate it will be reported as an H. Otherwise there would be artificially high indices.
However, I notice on my graphs that my A events do not generally develop gradually from what appears as an H. The flow shows an acute stoppage. YMMV
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
This probably won't help you much, but I made the transition from APAP to BPAP earlier this year and that had a profound affect on RERA, and a slight affect on FL. With an APAP range of 11-14 the RERA index (event/hour) ranges from 1.5 to 3. Using BPAP with EPAP at 8.5, PS +4 (IPAP 12.5) on auto mode, RERA is typically less than 0.5. Like you, I don't know why, but occasionally switching machines for a week continues to confirm that. I accidentally changed my PS to 0-5 and RERA was again similar to APAP, so it's not the machine nor pressure alone, it is the pressure support. For me, flow limitation events correlate with RERA, so both rise or both fall. And in a final ironic twist, CA is inversely proportional to RERA for me, so with low RERA I tend to have higher AHI composed mainly of CA, but the total time in apnea does not increase or decrease. Dont-know

Some things maybe don't need to be understood, we just do our best to pick what feels best. Your experiment shows you positively respond to a higher minimum pressure compared to a lower fixed pressure. That could be useful information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, it appears currently (2 nights at 8) that i need a higher pressure - probably 9 or 10 - for the minimum, however, the higher the pressure I use, the worse the symptom of water retention - presumably caused by the upswing in thoracic pressure caused by PAP. The remedy for that is BIPAP with a higher pressure support than I can get with APAP which was born out by the symptomatic relief obtained by moving EPR from 2 to 3. Now I wonder how long should I wait to switch, if I don't want the DME to reclaim my S9. I have a son who is waiting for results on a sleep study who will almost certainly need an APAP!

the S9 does not report RERA. It ticks me off that I got the machine that won't since the bulk of my issue is hypopnea and rera. Do the newer BIPAPs report it???

Post Reply Post Reply
interestingly, my home study did not report RERA count either!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to keep in mind when considering hypopneas is that not all hypopneas are obstructive. Some are centrals.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics reports RERA in all data capable machines, so BiPAP yes. Resmed seems to have incorporated RERA into the Airsense 10 autosets, but I don't know about the Aircurve VPAP line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics' BIPAP (DS760) also has the option of using an auto-adjusted range of Pressure Support, rather than just a fixed value.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 751 34 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 394 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 273 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 195 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.