Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Rate Graph - Clarification Sought
Flow Rate Graph - Clarification Sought
Please comment on the following:  

What does it mean when the flow rate is noticeably different during a sleep session as pictured on the attached screen shot (note the transition in breathing rate)?  I understand that my inhalation/exhalation pattern has changed and appears to have increased. Is that correct and is there anything noteworthy when this type of breathing occurs?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Rate Graph - Clarification Sought
Context please, a full night's chart plus 3 minute zooms of the areas in question. At this scale all that can be seen is that your exhale rate changed to be larger than your inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2022, 08:32 AM)Gideon Wrote: Context please, a full night's chart plus 3 minute zooms of the areas in question.  At this scale all that can be seen is that your exhale rate changed to be larger than your inhale.

Sure, Gideon.  I should have known that.

Here are the Oscar screen shots attached. Thanks for reviewing further.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like https://sites.google.com/view/palatal-prolapse
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2022, 04:27 AM)multicast Wrote: Looks like https://sites.google.com/view/palatal-prolapse

Attached is a closer screen shot of what is happening to me on that flow transition, and yes, it looks similar to the pattern on the link that you provided for palatal prolapse with a little more of a "v" at the bottom of each exhalation. I do not know if this is an unusual, highly-distinctive flow pattern, or similar to other manifestations of OSA, but the premise is interesting. Thanks for providing it.  Seems as if there are limited fixes for it, but it does provide good information on what not to do.  I will explore further.  Thanks again. Anyone else care to comment on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
I see general flow limitation and resistance in exhale, but not palatal prolapse. Your exhale flow is relatively high but short in duration. It clearly includes similar volume to inspiration, so what I see is flow limitation. Have you tried EPR? Looking back at your therapy thread, I think you should give EPR a try to see if it helps with some of the uneven respiration. I would like to see you at minimum pressure 9.0, maximum pressure 12.0 and EPR 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2022, 10:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I see general flow limitation and resistance in exhale, but not palatal prolapse.  Your exhale flow is relatively high but short in duration. It clearly includes similar volume to inspiration, so what I see is flow limitation.  Have you tried EPR?  Looking back at your therapy thread, I think you should give EPR a try to see if it helps with some of the uneven respiration.  I would like to see you at minimum pressure 9.0, maximum pressure 12.0 and EPR 3.

Thanks Sleeprider. I tried EPR but did not give it a fair shot.  Won’t this reduce my pressure considerably if I am already at 8.4/13.4 with no EPR now?  But I guess that is the point on exhalation only. Correct?  I’ll give it a try.  Thanks very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure will be reduced, but we have given you enough maximum pressure to provide up to 12/9 pressure (inhale/exhale). I would have no objection to increasing that range to 14.0. Consider this a trial and we can review your needs and comfort more closely after you have given it a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2022, 11:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The pressure will be reduced, but we have given you enough maximum pressure to provide up to 12/9 pressure (inhale/exhale).  I would have no objection to increasing that range to 14.0.  Consider this a trial and we can review your needs and comfort more closely after you have given it a try.

Good plan. Thanks so much.  I will report back after a good trial.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem to what I see in the palatal prolapse discussion here and on some of the links provided, but not as severe. Before CPAP I noticed it during physical therapy on my shoulder on exercises that required me to lie on my back. The PT first put 2 pillows behind my head and I found I could not exhale through my nose. It also happened on napping on back at home. When first starting CPAP use I slept on my back because no one told me not to until I found this forum a couple of weeks after using the CPAP. I want back to sleeping on my side and don't have the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.