Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Stumped on CA's / EPR
Newbie Stumped on CA's / EPR
Hi folks,

I'm another newbie to this PAP universe (just one week into treatment so far), and I am so deeply appreciating all the sharing and generosity on this board – you've already been incredibly helpful to me.

There is one thing in particular I'm hoping to get some extra insight on. I've attached last night's OSCAR data below, and here's my info for context:
  • Untreated Sleep Study Results: AHI 21.91 (almost entirely obstructive hypopneas), Central Apnea/Hypopnea Index 0.4, Spontaneous Arousal Index 9.59
  • Prescribed 5-15 cmH2O (note that there was no treatment/titration during my sleep study, so not sure how much faith I should have in the precision of this prescription)
  • I'm using an AS11 Autoset with DreamWear nasal pillows
  • 5-15 cmH20, EPR 3, Response Standard, Ramp Off
So, as you can see, my obstructive events and overall AHI are already way down relative to my original sleep study results (hooray!), but CA events are up (last night was actually the lowest they've been since starting treatment; on previous nights they've been as high as 8.52/hour). Reading this board, I learned that PAP treatment can cause CA events by way of overly efficient breathing leading to sub-apneic threshold CO2 levels, and that the first thing to try would be to lower EPR. So I tried EPR off, EPR 1, and EPR 2, but for some reason all of these made it so difficult for me to exhale that I was constantly waking up needing to blow air out of my mouth, to the point that I couldn't even make it through one full night without giving up and switching back to EPR 3. I left the regular pressure range set to 5-15 for all of these trials, by the way.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this, or anything else at all you may notice in my data and/or settings. I'm happy to provide zoom-in's or any other info you may need. Thank you so much!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Stumped on CA's / EPR
For the most part you are not getting the EPR=3 so changes as follows just to even things up over the night.

Set Min=7
And keep EPR=3.
I think you could handle EPR=2 if it was a}lied for the full night but I'd rather see you where you have said you are comfortable at 3
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2023, 08:57 PM)Gideon Wrote: For the most part you are not getting the EPR=3 so changes as follows just to even things up over the night.  

Set Min=7
And keep EPR=3.
I think you could handle EPR=2 if it was a}lied for the full night but I'd rather see you where you have said you are comfortable at 3

Thank you for the suggestion – makes sense. I tried this change last night and the results are attached. Do you reckon there are any other adjustments I should try for now, or maybe I should just give it more time as-is?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
At this point changed need to be comfort based. Other than a bit of mouth breathing I see nothing much.

Keep an eye on the centrals, if you see a significant change in AHI look at the centrals first.

Use this for several days then try EPR=2. Without first looking at your numbers which feels better, EPR=3 or EPR=2. This is purely subjective. Let us know. And always let us know what is bothering you
Post Reply Post Reply
Roger that, will do!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 186 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 494 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 281 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 263 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.