Flow Restriction
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Res Med Airfit P-10
Humidifier: Humidair S with heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 10.0-13.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I'm a mouth breather!!!

Sex: Male

Flow Restriction
Good Morning everyone!!

So I set up sleepy head to monitor 20% and 50% (quite a while back) flow restriction per one of our savvy members suggestion.

Now for the hard part, What am I looking for to be a good "target" in those graphs as a min/med/95% average?

I have searched but can not find any guidelines.

Chuck
01-17-2016 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Flow Restriction
Good morning Ginzo.

I don't know why you're targeting FL. The real goal of FL is zero. Which for most of us in not possible.

AFAIK: there is no "good "target" in those graphs as a min/med/95% average."

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-17-2016 12:55 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

Flow Limitation seems to be a different measurement than Flow Restriction, although I am not too knowledgeable about the difference - I note that the values are not the same in my charts. Also not clear on which is the greater FR - 20 or 50... I know I have a lot of 50s, and seldom any 20s but logic says that a 50% flow restriction is a greater restriction than 20% (unless it *illogically* means that you are restricted *to* 20%.... ) It would be great to hear some educated information on FR vs FL

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
01-17-2016 01:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Ah, you two are using SleepyHead. So, is not FR whatever JediMark defined it as?
FL is a scoring of the inhalation waveform's top flattening on an arbitrary 0 to 1 scale.
I think FR is the decrease in high rate flow magnitude averaged over X cycles.
ergo, 50% would be worse than 20% -- I am assuming.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-17-2016 03:01 PM
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

I understand the FL is resistance vs. pressure. But still not clear on restriction. AND my mistake, it is not in my graphs, but in my overview page. I have the tick marks showing in my overlays on the graphs.Oh-jeezDont-know

Am I just an idiot, or are we still trying to decipher what JM's intentions are? I can't find any patterns with any other graphs to tell what/where/why they occur.

(01-17-2016 01:31 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  Flow Limitation seems to be a different measurement than Flow Restriction, although I am not too knowledgeable about the difference - I note that the values are not the same in my charts. Also not clear on which is the greater FR - 20 or 50... I know I have a lot of 50s, and seldom any 20s but logic says that a 50% flow restriction is a greater restriction than 20% (unless it *illogically* means that you are restricted *to* 20%.... ) It would be great to hear some educated information on FR vs FL
01-17-2016 03:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
pholynyk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 APAP
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: included
CPAP Pressure: 11-17

Other Comments:

I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.
And it is obvious... The UF1 is the 20%, and is almost flat, the UF2 is 50% and is bumpy with flow.

01-17-2016 03:49 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(01-17-2016 03:49 PM)pholynyk Wrote:  I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.
And it is obvious... The UF1 is the 20%, and is almost flat, the UF2 is 50% and is bumpy with flow.

That was my suspicion also, but it seemed -- counter-intuitive (better word than illogical Bigwink )

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

01-17-2016 03:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(01-17-2016 03:32 PM)ginzo Wrote:  So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

I understand the FL is resistance vs. pressure. But still not clear on restriction. AND my mistake, it is not in my graphs, but in my overview page. I have the tick marks showing in my overlays on the graphs.Oh-jeezDont-know

Am I just an idiot, or are we still trying to decipher what JM's intentions are? I can't find any patterns with any other graphs to tell what/where/why they occur.

No you are not an idiot. This is abstruse stuff.
FL as defined by ResMed is a measure of the shape of the inhalation waveform.
I think FR is a measure of reduction in flow amplitude.

The two may overlap.

01-17-2016 03:53 PM
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

So now that I look at it closer, per pholynyks' chart. I brought my chart in to a closer view, I didn't pay attention to the exact time frame.

It looks to me as 20% is worse than 50% as the flow is almost nil @ 20% and the wave form still has some shape at 50%.

That being said, I would assume (ass/u/me) that this tells me you're going to stop breathing and the machine gives you a kick start? All my other readings drop off in those time frames although they tend to be in the 10 second range on average.

That's my take on it, any rebuttals?

(01-17-2016 03:49 PM)pholynyk Wrote:  I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.

Thanks Mongo, I'm just trying to figure it all out and then offer up some help to others when I can. It looks as if you have nailed it.

BTW, I had to look up abstruse. Google is a wonderful tool! That will be the word of the day!!!

(01-17-2016 03:53 PM)justMongo Wrote:  
(01-17-2016 03:32 PM)ginzo Wrote:  So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

No you are not an idiot. This is abstruse stuff.
FL as defined by ResMed is a measure of the shape of the inhalation waveform.
I think FR is a measure of reduction in flow amplitude.

The two may overlap.
01-18-2016 07:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Source of Resmed S9 EPR reverse flow whistle! neal 5 228 12-01-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: klv329
  Flow Rate Interpretation nadprok 2 217 11-13-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 345 10-23-2016 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Any way to determine REM sleep from Flow Rate? Roy289 18 1,127 08-31-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: o1bob037
  Bizarre Sleepyhead Reading for Flow Limitation holden4th 7 465 07-24-2016 01:58 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph nadprok 15 1,205 06-20-2016 06:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pressure, Flow, and Leaks chill 12 811 05-29-2016 12:20 PM
Last Post: chill