Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Restriction
Flow Restriction
Good Morning everyone!!

So I set up sleepy head to monitor 20% and 50% (quite a while back) flow restriction per one of our savvy members suggestion.

Now for the hard part, What am I looking for to be a good "target" in those graphs as a min/med/95% average?

I have searched but can not find any guidelines.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Restriction
Good morning Ginzo.

I don't know why you're targeting FL. The real goal of FL is zero. Which for most of us in not possible.

AFAIK: there is no "good "target" in those graphs as a min/med/95% average."

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow Limitation seems to be a different measurement than Flow Restriction, although I am not too knowledgeable about the difference - I note that the values are not the same in my charts. Also not clear on which is the greater FR - 20 or 50... I know I have a lot of 50s, and seldom any 20s but logic says that a 50% flow restriction is a greater restriction than 20% (unless it *illogically* means that you are restricted *to* 20%.... ) It would be great to hear some educated information on FR vs FL
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, you two are using SleepyHead. So, is not FR whatever JediMark defined it as?
FL is a scoring of the inhalation waveform's top flattening on an arbitrary 0 to 1 scale.
I think FR is the decrease in high rate flow magnitude averaged over X cycles.
ergo, 50% would be worse than 20% -- I am assuming.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

I understand the FL is resistance vs. pressure. But still not clear on restriction. AND my mistake, it is not in my graphs, but in my overview page. I have the tick marks showing in my overlays on the graphs.Oh-jeezDont-know

Am I just an idiot, or are we still trying to decipher what JM's intentions are? I can't find any patterns with any other graphs to tell what/where/why they occur.

(01-17-2016, 01:31 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Flow Limitation seems to be a different measurement than Flow Restriction, although I am not too knowledgeable about the difference - I note that the values are not the same in my charts. Also not clear on which is the greater FR - 20 or 50... I know I have a lot of 50s, and seldom any 20s but logic says that a 50% flow restriction is a greater restriction than 20% (unless it *illogically* means that you are restricted *to* 20%.... ) It would be great to hear some educated information on FR vs FL

Post Reply Post Reply
I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.
And it is obvious... The UF1 is the 20%, and is almost flat, the UF2 is 50% and is bumpy with flow.

[attachment=2035]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 03:49 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.
And it is obvious... The UF1 is the 20%, and is almost flat, the UF2 is 50% and is bumpy with flow.

That was my suspicion also, but it seemed -- counter-intuitive (better word than illogical Bigwink )
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 03:32 PM)ginzo Wrote: So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

I understand the FL is resistance vs. pressure. But still not clear on restriction. AND my mistake, it is not in my graphs, but in my overview page. I have the tick marks showing in my overlays on the graphs.Oh-jeezDont-know

Am I just an idiot, or are we still trying to decipher what JM's intentions are? I can't find any patterns with any other graphs to tell what/where/why they occur.

No you are not an idiot. This is abstruse stuff.
FL as defined by ResMed is a measure of the shape of the inhalation waveform.
I think FR is a measure of reduction in flow amplitude.

The two may overlap.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So now that I look at it closer, per pholynyks' chart. I brought my chart in to a closer view, I didn't pay attention to the exact time frame.

It looks to me as 20% is worse than 50% as the flow is almost nil @ 20% and the wave form still has some shape at 50%.

That being said, I would assume (ass/u/me) that this tells me you're going to stop breathing and the machine gives you a kick start? All my other readings drop off in those time frames although they tend to be in the 10 second range on average.

That's my take on it, any rebuttals?

(01-17-2016, 03:49 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I will have to look at a chart that has both 50% and 20% flags, but I think that FR20 means flow Restricted /to/ 20%, rather than flow restricted _by_ 20%. Probably time I looked at the last few days anyway... It should be obvious in comparison.

Thanks Mongo, I'm just trying to figure it all out and then offer up some help to others when I can. It looks as if you have nailed it.

BTW, I had to look up abstruse. Google is a wonderful tool! That will be the word of the day!!!

(01-17-2016, 03:53 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 03:32 PM)ginzo Wrote: So, am I to assume (ass/u/me) that maybe, Jm's restriction (20%-50%) might be another scale of FL? As in 20% or 50% of the time?

No you are not an idiot. This is abstruse stuff.
FL as defined by ResMed is a measure of the shape of the inhalation waveform.
I think FR is a measure of reduction in flow amplitude.

The two may overlap.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 223 52 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 303 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,605 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.