Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow graphs - Am I mouth breathing
RE: Flow graphs - Am I mouth breathing
edfreeman,

That leak line with the cervical collar does show that it makes a huge difference for you in terms of leaks.

How about comfort? Is the collar comfortable to sleep with?

A while back on the thread you wrote:
(07-08-2017, 10:06 AM)edfreeman Wrote: I do get awakened sometimes and not know/remember what it is, though I have correlated some arousals to centrals, though not always.  
How many wakes are we talking about?

Here's the thing: Even people with totally normal sleep will have a few, very brief wakes during the night, most often after a REM cycle concludes.  It's just that in a person with totally normal sleep, the person quickly discerns there's no real reason they woke up---i.e. their sleeping environment is still safe and sound---and they turn over and go right back to sleep and most likely don't even remember the wake in the morning.   And the worst thing you can do with this normal post REM wakes is to prolong them long enough for to remember and be disruptive to your sleep.

Quote:My AHI is very good, very rarely above 1.  But I haven't yet achieved "rested" and "refreshed" after doing this for 4 years, mainly because my defective brain won't hardly let me do more than 6.5 hours on good days.
What does your normal sleep schedule look like?  When do you typically go to bed and when do you typically wake up?

How much time are you spending in bed and how much sleep do you think you get on a typical night rather than a particularly good or bad one?

What is the first thing that goes through your mind when you find yourself awake in the middle of the night?

Also have you had a recent physical? Have things like your thyroid been checked out?  There are lots of non-apnea medical problems with "unrefreshing sleep" as an important symptom.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 09:50 AM)robysue Wrote: edfreeman,

That leak line with the cervical collar does show that it makes a huge difference for you in terms of leaks.

How about comfort? Is the collar comfortable to sleep with?

Yes, it was fine except for the sweaty neck in the morning.  That night that I posted was the first time wearing it, and it was a bit clunky to me when I put it on, but once the head hit the pillow, I didn't notice it and began sleeping "normally" and actually made it to "potty break time." No issues.

(07-16-2017, 09:50 AM)robysue Wrote: A while back on the thread you wrote:
(07-08-2017, 10:06 AM)edfreeman Wrote: I do get awakened sometimes and not know/remember what it is, though I have correlated some arousals to centrals, though not always.  

How many wakes are we talking about?

3-4.  With your explanation below, I may have my sights set too high and need to just chill a bit and "break in" the collar, very informative, Thanks.

(07-16-2017, 09:50 AM)robysue Wrote: Here's the thing: Even people with totally normal sleep will have a few, very brief wakes during the night, most often after a REM cycle concludes.  It's just that in a person with totally normal sleep, the person quickly discerns there's no real reason they woke up---i.e. their sleeping environment is still safe and sound---and they turn over and go right back to sleep and most likely don't even remember the wake in the morning.   And the worst thing you can do with this normal post REM wakes is to prolong them long enough for to remember and be disruptive to your sleep.

Quote:My AHI is very good, very rarely above 1.  But I haven't yet achieved "rested" and "refreshed" after doing this for 4 years, mainly because my defective brain won't hardly let me do more than 6.5 hours on good days.

What does your normal sleep schedule look like?  When do you typically go to bed and when do you typically wake up?

How much time are you spending in bed and how much sleep do you think you get on a typical night rather than a particularly good or bad one?

What is the first thing that goes through your mind when you find yourself awake in the middle of the night?

Also have you had a recent physical? Have things like your thyroid been checked out?  There are lots of non-apnea medical problems with "unrefreshing sleep" as an important symptom.

I have my annual physicals religiously, and other than tennis elbow and marginal cholesterol, no issues.  Bedtime is right after the weather report, usually head there at just after 11, regimen complete and in the bed by NLT 11:30.  I'll awaken for good by 6, sometimes sooner.  Between 11-5 in the day, some time in there, "nap time whether you want to or not" will hit.  Don't mind a good nap every now and then, just don't want to need one daily.

When I awaken and become conscious of it, I usually look at the clock and try to mentally record the time so that I can see if something was going on in SH. 

I have another physical in a month, so I'll mention to the doc about the non-refreshing sleep and see what he thinks.  He's new as of 2 physicals ago and wasn't the one who prescribed the sleep study.  Thanks for the quiz and the paragraph explaining the sleep cycles, you (and others) know a lot about this sleeping thing.  My issue pales in comparison to others on here, I know, who are chasing AHI's, better mask toleration, and improving therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 01:32 PM)edfreeman Wrote: Bedtime is right after the weather report, usually head there at just after 11, regimen complete and in the bed by NLT 11:30.  I'll awaken for good by 6, sometimes sooner.  
So you're in bed for maybe 6.5-7 hours on a typical night, and maybe less if you get up before 6. How much of that time are you asleep?

The need for that daily nap might just be your body's way of saying, "Can you either go to bed a bit earlier or sleep a bit later? 'Cause I'd really appreciate more like 7.5 or 8 hours of sleep every night instead of only 6-6.5 hours."

What do you think would happen if you just went to bed at 10:30 rather than 11:30? Most people who regularly get up before 6AM are usually in bed before the 11 o'clock news comes on.  Many of them are in bed by 9:30 or 10:00 at the latest.

Quote:When I awaken and become conscious of it, I usually look at the clock and try to mentally record the time so that I can see if something was going on in SH. 
Rather than looking at the clock, you may be better off just turning the machine off and back on when you wake up.  That way the wake is very clearly identified in the data.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading your post, I have just ordered the same collar. Hope I have as good an experience as you! My leaks are way too high. 

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 04:57 PM)robysue Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 01:32 PM)edfreeman Wrote: Bedtime is right after the weather report, usually head there at just after 11, regimen complete and in the bed by NLT 11:30.  I'll awaken for good by 6, sometimes sooner.  
So you're in bed for maybe 6.5-7 hours on a typical night, and maybe less if you get up before 6. How much of that time are you asleep?

The need for that daily nap might just be your body's way of saying, "Can you either go to bed a bit earlier or sleep a bit later? 'Cause I'd really appreciate more like 7.5 or 8 hours of sleep every night instead of only 6-6.5 hours."

What do you think would happen if you just went to bed at 10:30 rather than 11:30? Most people who regularly get up before 6AM are usually in bed before the 11 o'clock news comes on.  Many of them are in bed by 9:30 or 10:00 at the latest.

Quote:When I awaken and become conscious of it, I usually look at the clock and try to mentally record the time so that I can see if something was going on in SH. 
Rather than looking at the clock, you may be better off just turning the machine off and back on when you wake up.  That way the wake is very clearly identified in the data.
I'm retired, no reason to either stay up or wake up at any given time. Right after 11 is normal for bedtime, no alarms going off in my house, so I wake up whenever I wake up. Thing is, after a year, the wiring is still stuck at 6, which can be OK if I don't awaken in between. Rather make it to 7+, though.

I'd meant to come back here and comment, but forgot when the thread didn't appear as having new comments, but the collar is helping quite a bit. Leakage is very close to nil and is "real" mask leaks the few times I've had it. I was awakened once after I jarred the P10 sideways and had air blowing up the side of my nose, but I pulled it into place and eventually slept again. I've had 2 complete nights where I've made it a little past that 6 am milestone without awakening, didn't clear up my cloudy mind (sleep debt, likely), but very encouraging. I've got that collar completely "open" at the chin, meaning its at the highest it'll go there, and one time woke up with the chin/jaw mis-aligned with the rest of my head, so I may get the tape measure out and put a little precision into another purchase off Amazon.

Thanks for your patience and all your help and comments. At the least, I think this will eliminate one distraction to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 27 611 2 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 109 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 452 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 142 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 191 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.