Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How can I make my treatment more effective?
RE: How can I make my treatment more effective?
I finally got a collar that fits well, and allows me to leave it a little loose around my neck but still prevents me from lowering my chin.  I've had it for about 10 days now, and my AHI has definitely improved.  For reference, the collar I ended up with is the "Velpeau Neck Brace- Cervical Collar - Soft Neck Support Relieves Pain & Pressure in Spine - Wraps Aligns Stabilizes Vertebrae - Can Be Used During Sleep(Stabilized Version L9-3.5”)", purchased from amazon.  I wonder if the collar would also take the place of a chin strap to prevent mouth breathing?  Maybe I'll switch back to nasal pillows sometime and give it a try. 

I need to try to adjust my mask somehow though, as lately I've woken up in the night with it pressing up against the underside of my nose way to hard, to the point that I take it off and my nose aches for some time after.  I'm not sure how to adjust for that, as the Dreamwear (full face) only has the 2 straps around the back of the head that can be adjusted, the frame going up to the top is solid.  

I do feel like I've been a little more rested when waking up lately, though I'm still severely lacking motivation to actually get up and do anything.  That could very well be a mental health issue though more than a sleep issue.  I'll have to take that up with the Dr at my next appt.  

Here are a couple of screenshots of my data, a daily view from last night and an overview which clearly shows an improvement with the collar.  You can see that there was an improvement beginning on the 14th when I adjusted my settings based on SleepRider's suggestions, and then another after I started wearing the collar on the 16th.  

Thanks!
NeighborGeek
Post Reply Post Reply
Soft cervical collars apply pressure to the jaw and have been very effective in reducing mouth leaks for some members. I would really like to see you review the Velpeau Neck Brace- Cervical Collar in the Reviews forum when you get a chance and more experience with it. So many members can benefit from your experience and insights on what worked and what didn't.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nasal pillow mask and I'm prone to lip leaks. can't do the tongue suck technique, can't tape over whiskers, no luck with chin strap. the collar's about the only option left. it's not perfect, more like an 80% solution, but absolutely necessary for me to minimize leaks & avoid oa clusters. definitely worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 599 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 57 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 216 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 283 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 199 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.