Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow limitation
RE: Flow limitation
Answering  Sleeprider request
New graph included here

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the trend for higher flow limitation with higher pressure seems pretty clear. I mis-stated that as an inverse relationship, but it looks pretty direct, and I would avoid anything over 12 cm, with somewhat better results under 11 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Sleeprider
I would avoid anything over 12 cm, with somewhat better results under 11 cm

I can see that, thank you Sleeprider.
Do you think I still need a BiPAP the get better results or should I try reducing the maximum pressure setting on my APAP?

Some additional information on the attached graph.

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
I still think the pressure support further decreases your flow limitation. Your results of higher flow limitation with higher pressure is something fairly common and mostly points to an intolerance for exhaling into higher pressure. With bilevel, we can add more pressure support while keeping EPAP low.

Really like the regression analysis, and this really takes all question out of the relationship of higher events to flow limitation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still trying to get a better comprehension of things.

Take a look at the graph which is a zoom.

Does it look OK from your perspective?

When pressure goes down, flow limit goes up?

Take note the graph is not time based.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
More about FL and Pressure.

See included screenshot.

Both charts done with same set of data.

Do those show well the relation between pressure and flow limitation when there are ups and downs?

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
I am unsure how to interpret these graphs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I understand, I find it hard to get a good grip on the whole thing.
But when I came up with those graph, something seemed wrong.
I doubled checked the data and my graphs and could not find errors.

What does not change is my body.

What changes is the pressure I get from the machine.

The results is the Flow Limitation which the machine calculates.

I believe the pressure I get in the mask is the EPAP.

So the top graph should show what is happening to FL when pressure changes.
The bottom graph shows only when the changes are happening in time.
But both graphs are related to the same data set.

So, on both graphs:

When the EPAP drops, FL should be going down.
But it does not look like that.
FL always goes up (top graph) regardless of changes in pressure.

On the bottom graph, the lowest peak for EPAP (< 0.34) results in an increase of FL.
That is not what I think should be happening. FL should go down when EPAP goes down.

So I am at a lost here to understand it all.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to admit that I'm perplexed at you using a percentile value and not the actual point in time for a parameter comparison. Would you please provide further detail as to how this comparison works?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Crimson Nape
I'm perplexed at you using a percentile value and not the actual point in time for a parameter comparison.

The legend is a copy of the column headings in the CSV file OSCAR exports.

All the values used for the graphs are values from the CSV file.
I have no other values than those provided by OSCAR.

Please explain where in OSCAR I can get what you call "actual point in time".

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 493 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.