Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow limits & Oscar graph
Flow limits & Oscar graph

I guess I don't understand how the Oscar graphs display information.  The attached daily Oscar report graph for flow limits shows a lot of flow limits, some ranging up to the max marking of one.   The  statistics summary shows a max of .63 which appears to be the level of the Max line on the graph.  Many flow limits on the graph appear to be significantly greater than this value.  I  am clearly missing something.  The statistics summary also shows the med (average?) as zero and the 95% level as zero.  I don't understand what the 95% number means.  Many lines on the graph exceed that but yet the summary shows zero.  I clearly need an education in how/what the display and summary show.  

As to the health picture,  since I have been using the AVS, the AHI number is usually zero or a small fraction above that.  I sleep through the night, usually getting eight to nine hours sleep rather than the five or six I was getting before.  I do not have to take afternoon naps but fatigue still continues.  I was told not to worry about the flow limits before, but I assume they are captured for a reason.  I have also attached a copy of a three minute chart with flow limits.  To my untrained eye there is nothing significant.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow limits & Oscar graph
Check in "Preferences" to see how the "Max" is calculated. 100% 99% 0r 95%
Post Reply Post Reply
So does that means that the max is the total aggregate flow limits (total time which they exist) divided by total time being measured?  I guess that would explain why the med and 95% are zero if they are so small in the aggregate as to be rounded to zero.  However, they are not small if looked at over a short duration, say a few minutes.  Do these have any affect on the quality of sleep?

I don't think I am getting it yet.  

Learning mode
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
It gets a little more complicated with ASV, but I agree the section you zoomed on has some appreciable flow limitation not reflected in the statistics. While your results are pretty good I think you would benefit from a PS min of 2-3 cm. This will give you enough assist or pressure support to mostly eradicate the inspiration flattening we see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2020, 01:31 PM)raylock1 Wrote: So does that means that the max is the total aggregate flow limits (total time which they exist) divided by total time being measured?  I guess that would explain why the med and 95% are zero if they are so small in the aggregate as to be rounded to zero.

The ResMed machines report a "flow limitation index" every 2 seconds (I think that's the frequency).  The index is a value between 0 and 1.  I don't think anyone knows how the machine calculates that number, except that 0 is no limitation and 1 is total limitation.  For an 8-hour night, with a report every 2 seconds, that's 14,400 numbers reported.

Now, imagine sorting those numbers from the lowest to the highest value.  Pick the one in the middle of the resulting sorted list.  That's the "median."  Flow limit median is usually 0 as there are a lot more reports with 0 than other numbers.

The 95% and "Max" numbers are percentiles.  So the number under 95% means that 95% of the measurements have a value below that number.  Again, zero is not an uncommon value even with noticeable flow limitations.  (My OSCAR report has been showing 0.11 at the 95 percentile, which I am told is fairly high.)

"Max" is a misnomer and means different things on different machines.  It is also a percentile number and, with ResMed, I think is something like 99% or 99.5%.  So the number you see is the highest value after discarding the top 1% (or 0.5%?) of the values. (With some other machines and preferences settings, "max" actually means "maximum value seen".  But that's not the case with ResMed.)

It is on our work list to try to clarify that "max" label since it isn't really a max value.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2020, 01:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It gets a little more complicated with ASV, but I agree the section you zoomed on has some appreciable flow limitation not reflected in the statistics.  While your results are pretty good I think you would benefit from a PS min of 2-3 cm. This will give you enough assist or pressure support to mostly eradicate the inspiration flattening  we see.

Thank you Sleeprider.  I increased the PS min to 2cm last night and saw some reduction in the flow limitations and inspiration curve flattening.  I will increase the PS min to 3 tonight and post the results tomorrow.  Thanks again for your input
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you GuyScharf.  It really helps to have some understanding of the information that Oscar uses to create the graph and statistics.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 110 8,726 7 hours ago
Last Post: ewriter
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 8 311 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 70 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 286 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 266 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 679 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.