Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow rate morphology and mask type?
Flow rate morphology and mask type?
I've been looking through the last couple weeks of SleepyHead data, and I think I'm noticing a trend where the shape of my flow rate curve has a more rounded inspiratory portion when wearing a standard nasal mask (N20) than when I wear nasal pillows (P10).

These three are from the N20:

[Image: 38740396914_9a09a5f050_b.jpg]

[Image: 38740396954_8abfac29e5_b.jpg]

[Image: 38740396984_cc2157d705_b.jpg]

And these are from the P10:

[Image: 38740397134_a1059569d8_b.jpg]

[Image: 39448512681_0c66eb9fcb_b.jpg]

[Image: 39448512801_92d64b4f8d_b.jpg]

My AHI is about the same with both masks (~3-4 most days).

I could be mistaken.  Will continue to switch back and forth and see if it is reproducible.

The N20 looks more like normal breathing, right?  Does it matter?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow rate morphology and mask type?
No telling what causes the difference. Size of the pillows or maybe the machine mask settings. Even the length of the close ups can affect it somewhat.

I'll be interested to see what you find.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have never used anything but the nasal pillows and the morphology of our flow rate graphs on that mask are very similar. It could be the increased volume of the nasal mask and probably FFM, mutes the transitions, and rounds out the flow curves. The machine is graphing what it detects at the sensors all the way back inside the flow generator, so increased volume and damping in the patient interface would have an effect similar to an expansion tank on a hot water line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey

Have nothing to say about your flow rate morphology except that it looks perfect wave form whilst mine, in comparison, seems like wild dancing.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2018, 10:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have never used anything but the nasal pillows and the morphology of our flow rate graphs on that mask are very similar.

That is reassuring.  I wasn't sure if I was breathing abnormally when using the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! You get to breathe evenly like that? Lucky butt.....  Coffee

Do the waveforms change with different pressures?
Post Reply Post Reply
Shin; Interesting point about the shape of the Flow Rate waveform, but I would be more concerned about the actual AHI comparison.  Be curious to know what it was for each waveform?

Before reading your post I was sitting here wondering what the effect of FFM vs Nasal vs Pillow may have in varying the AHI.. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I vary my gear and settings a lot, but most of the time I use BPAP auto (VPAP auto) with a min EPAP of 17, max IPAP 24, and PS 4.

With those settings, I get an AHI in between 2 and 5 most days, regardless of whether I use nasal pillows (P10) or nasal mask (Dreamwear or N20).

Up to half or sometimes even more of my AHI is from CAs, but the great majority of my CAs appear to be false positives (surrounded by junky breathing or while awake).

(01-02-2018, 10:55 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Hey

Have nothing to say about your flow rate morphology except that it looks perfect wave form whilst mine, in comparison, seems like wild dancing.

(01-02-2018, 12:22 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Wow! You get to breathe evenly like that? Lucky butt.....  Coffee

Do the waveforms change with different pressures?

My breathing is not always quite as even as the examples I posted but mostly is close to that unless I'm having events or arousals. At low pressures I can see some obstructive flattening of the inspiratory portion of the curve.
Post Reply Post Reply
The more I look at the charts the more it looks like your respiratory rate is a little faster with the P10.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2018, 11:23 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 10:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have never used anything but the nasal pillows and the morphology of our flow rate graphs on that mask are very similar.

That is reassuring.  I wasn't sure if I was breathing abnormally when using the nasal pillows.

Here is a sample of my wife's, and mine.  Like you, I also have some bizzare, uneven and flow limited crap as well as wake breathing, but this is typical deep sleep.  The first one is my wife on P10 pillows. Almost a blend between your nasal pillow and nasal mask. I orginally posted this because hers is an Airsense 10 Autoset and mine is Aircurve 10 Vauto.

[Image: PEe2mIe.png]

[Image: tEQY9Nk.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 257 7 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.