Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow rate question and clock question
Flow rate question and clock question
So I have a question for one of the more informed than I.
I recently purchased a flow meter so I could measure the actual output pressure from my CPAP.
because I have noticed that after I mask up and turn it on
( I do not use the ramp function)
After I take 3 or 4 breaths I notice the hum of the machine change. So I checked with my flow meter and with mask unhooked I turn my machine on and I get a solid 11.5 cm/H2O no issue but if I turn it on and use my mask and breathe 3 or 4 times and disconnect the mask with out shutting the machine off and then hook up the flow meter I find I was indeed correct after 3 or 4 breaths the CPAP drops  by 2cm/H2O only giving me 9.5 all nite long?
Is this normal or is my machine broken ?
Also does anyone know how to even access the internal clock on my Respironics machine as it is about 20 minutes out of whack ?
My CPAP is a :
Philips Respironics REMstar Pro  Cflex+ system one CPAP machine with heated hose and humidifier.

Any assistance from someone that knows would be greatly appreciated J
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow rate question and clock question
It could be because you have flex on? The flow meter might of been measuring the flow minus the flex. Just a guess.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The air pump in the CPAP can only maintain a certain pressure level based on a maximum level of leakage.  In your post you say that you disconnect the mask.  Does that mean that the hose is without any backpressure?  Walla Walla is correct.  You need to turn off any ramp or Flex mode before testing.  You could also check to see if your CPAP has a mask fit option.  This would be the preferred option to check pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Re the clock question: Philips machines have an internal clock that is not accessible to the user. To change the clock needs arcane rituals known only to the adept. Or to put it more sensibly, it requires special software and a cable which are not supplied to end users. Your DME or service centre may be able to sort it for you. If you use #SleepyHead there is an option to correct for clock drift.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can adjust the time on my DreamStation. It can't be made exact, but within 10 minutes (I believe).

When I brought it home from the DME, I adjusted it to be more in line with the correct time.

When I've moved time zones, it was easy enough to change.
Post Reply Post Reply
DreanStations can be adjusted in 30 minute increments. However Deepbreathing is correct about the RemStar Pro series.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2018, 01:20 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: DreanStations can be adjusted in 30 minute increments.

If that is the case, then plan on setting it about 1-2 minute(s) before a 30 minute mark and wait for the 30 minute interval before pressing ENTER.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well thank you for the responses, I will have to investigate this flex thing and see if it is on with my machine?
And yes when i took pressure readings I dis connected the mask from the hose while the machine was still running as it is the only way for me to get the drop in pressure effect from taking a few breaths while wearing the mask. the flow device does provide some back pressure as there is a large ball that is in the path of the air in order to indicate the pressure measurement but it doesn't change the fact that my machine does drop in pressure after taking the first few breaths when i first start it up when i go too sleep, perhaps this Flex thing is the culprit but i have to figger that when they set up my machine if this flex thing is activated they must have wanted it that way ? It still confuses me if I am supposed to get 11.5 cm/h20 then why set up the machine to do this? I guess i won't know until i search the numerous menus and sub menus to see if Flex is turned on ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I can adjust the time on my DreamStation. It can't be made exact, but within 10 minutes (I believe).

Quote:DreanStations can be adjusted in 30 minute increments. However Deepbreathing is correct about the RemStar Pro series.

Thanks for the correction Hydrangea and WW. I need to update my knowledge base.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 45 5 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 44 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 52 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 56 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 147 Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 452 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.