Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow rate readings
Flow rate readings
Hello,
I have been using a CPAP machine since the beginning of July.   I have been wondering on the Flow rate chart  what the grey bands represent.  They don't seem to correlate to anything.  
Also the Flow rate itself. I have seen a lot of other post and the readings are much lower numbers.   I use a nose pillow 
Thanks
Roger

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow rate readings
The Grey bands are from Large Leaks. In the left hand information center you will see the rainbow colored area, second from the top is a Grey horizontal band labeled "Large Leak". That corresponds to the "Events "Area, second from the top row is the area where Large Leaks are "Flagged". That flag will cast a shadow down the page to assist seeing the effects the leaks are having on recorded parameters.

On "Flow Rate" you will notice the increased size of the leak will attenuate the size of signal recorded for each breath. You will also notice that your machine's response to events is many times nullified. Therefore, if you cannot measure it. DreamStation will not attempt to control it.

I notice that your APAP settings are rather low. Soon backup will arrive to suggest an increase of pressure by a couple of cmH2O. It will help control your OA, H and FL.

You will also need to address the leaks, they will nullify any corrective response any machine could provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 10:18 AM)rogerded1 Wrote: I use a nose pillow 

Your profile indicates you're using a full face mask! Please update your profile so it's accurate. Also update it to indicate you are using OSCAR and what your pressure settings are.

Those large leaks have to be fixed before you can do anything else to improve your therapy. Call your providers and tell them about the leaks and that you need to try a different mask and a chin strap. You can also try a soft cervical collar instead of the chin strap. A full face mask is the best option. You may also find that a CPAP pillow will help with the leaks. You can go to Amazon and search for Papillow. They will have several knock-offs that work well.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with all the proceeding posts. Your pressures are way to low, who set these? Look at your pressure chart there are large areas with a flat top. That shows you do not have enough high pressure and when it is a flat top you are not getting therapy. My suggestion is a low of 7 and a top of 10 and see what that does. You are basically getting no therapy at these settings.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2020, 12:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 10:18 AM)rogerded1 Wrote: I use a nose pillow 

Your profile indicates you're using a full face mask! Please update your profile so it's accurate. Also update it to indicate you are using OSCAR and what your pressure settings are.

Those large leaks have to be fixed before you can do anything else to improve your therapy. Call your providers and tell them about the leaks and that you need to try a different mask and a chin strap. You can also try a soft cervical collar instead of the chin strap. A full face mask is the best option. You may also find that a CPAP pillow will help with the leaks. You can go to Amazon and search for Papillow. They will have several knock-offs that work well.

Sleepster
How do I change the setting for the mask?  I don't see it in the profile. My machine is set for the 1X resistance which is on the label for the nose piece.  I couldn't get used to the full mask and that leaked horribly.  When I put on the nose mask I don't hear any leaks. When it does leak after movement it wakes me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to the top of any page here and click on UserCP.  Look on the lower left under Menu ⇾ Your Profile. Click on Edit Profile  and change your mask type.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
idk anything about pr machines but in 4 years here I've never seen a flow rate consistently ranging from just above zero to just under 255. the flow doesn't vary with leaks so it's not just blasting air & I doubt any human's lungs are that big. something isn't right there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I had thought you were referring to the Oscar report.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a lot of information to learn in order to navigate OSCAR, this forum and the setting of parameters in your DreamStation. 
It will come with time, for now be sure to post follow up OSCAR reports and information request under this same post.

I really expect to see your events to be reduced with the new pressure settings.  I also expect there will be additional fine tuning to come. Post an OSCAR report tomorrow we will be here.

Keep that full face mask handy for sinus/hay fever related issues that may require several days to weeks of FFM use. If changing out mask styles as many of us do on occasion be sure to reference that in the body of your post.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Thanks, I had thought you were referring to the Oscar report."

rogerded1, I'm not sure who you are responding to, but in case it's me: in post #7 I was referring to your oscar flow rate graph in post #1.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 100 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 266 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.