Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow waveform change before OA
Flow waveform change before OA
Hello all,

Been looking at my OSCAR charts and noticing a pattern. Usually a couple of minutes before an OA, I have what I call a garbage breath, followed by a triangular shaped right sloping inspiratory breaths till the OA. Then a recovery breath and back to a normal flow pattern. Any idea what causes the waveform to go from normal to a right sloping triangular wave? They do seem to happen on the second half of the evening if that means anything.

I am attaching 2 screenshots. 1 showing what I consider my normal flow and 1 showing the distortion that occurs after a garbage breath and precedes the OA.

thanks.

s.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow waveform change before OA
the difference between the two curves is the time between exhale and inhale. my guess is that before the oa, you're working a little harder to breathe through mounting restriction, moving more quickly from exhale to inhale.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow waveform change before OA
Thank you Sheepless. That makes sense.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 74 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 25 2 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 248 3 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.