CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

Flu Shot
[Image: ATT246VY.jpg]

I had it for the first time, did not work for me
Never had so many cold in one season

Maybe the immune system is not what once used to be oldman
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 09:16 PM by zonk.)
10-02-2015 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Flu Shot
Be sure to check the symptoms before you call it the flu. I always get the flu shot, but I usually seemed to get the flu. Many years later, I finally looked up the symptoms and realized I was having colds, not the flu.

Flu usually has fever and headache, which I usually didn't have even when I thought I had the flu.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-02-2015 09:27 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sometimes the epidemiologists miss the strains they expect; or they miss the genetic drift.
This renders the vaccine less effective or not effective.
The vaccine is out early this year which makes me wonder if the they will miss it again.

They have to make their guess well in advance as production takes time.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 10:02 PM by justMongo.)
10-02-2015 10:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

i usually get the Flu before the shots come out Tongue

in addition, the shots make me nearly as sick as the flu, and then it seldom covers what ever is going around and I get sick again anyway so i stopped getting them. OTOH it is already October and I didnt get Flu yet this year... bad upper resp yuck in July, but no flu. Crossing fingers and toes, but wont get that lousy flu shot!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
10-02-2015 10:46 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

I guess I'm the rebel here; I always get a flu shot. Haven't been sick with the flu for a few years, but have had a couple colds. Blowing-nose

OpalRose
10-03-2015 07:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(10-02-2015 10:46 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  i usually get the Flu before the shots come out Tongue

in addition, the shots make me nearly as sick as the flu, and then it seldom covers what ever is going around and I get sick again anyway so i stopped getting them. OTOH it is already October and I didn't get Flu yet this year... bad upper resp yuck in July, but no flu. Crossing fingers and toes, but wont get that lousy flu shot!

As you mention Primary Immune Deficiency in your profile... Is it even a good idea for you to have any vaccine?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-03-2015 08:53 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(10-02-2015 09:13 PM)zonk Wrote:  I had it for the first time, did not work for me
Never had so many cold in one season

Maybe the immune system is not what once used to be oldman

Firstly a flu is not a cold, not even related, and a flu shot has no protection against a cold in it.

A flu shot is far more necessary the older you get.

As for flu shots, all health workers here have to have one every year, I can attest to their efficacy - I too get colds every year, I don't get the flu.
10-03-2015 10:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

My maternal grandmother died in the flu pandemic of 1918 when my mother was 1 year old.

10-03-2015 10:38 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I don't get the vac. My familial history with the flu shots has not been that great. An aunt and my brother became very ill and were hospitalized (way back when the shot was "live"). The same brother later had a horrible allergic reaction to another version of it. My mother started getting the shot a while back and obtained Guillian-Barre from it.

I understand having vaccines against diseases that can kill or maim such as polio. I can even understand them for childhood diseases such as measles and chicken pox. I am not anti-vaccine at all. I'm not an idiot. But I do not understand having a vaccine against a disease such as the flu. Unlike measles and chicken pox, the flu has always liked to mutate. So trying to prevent it from happening then changing the vaccine each year is like trying to herd fertile, feral cats in a city. We need to come up with better ways to treat the symptoms and protect those most vulnerable to the symptoms. We need to be educating people about the symptoms so that they get treatment before it is too late. Alcohol-based hand cleaners worked oh so well, right? Removed ALL of the bacteria from the hands, including the good bacteria, and made many people more susceptible to illness than prevented it because they were overusing it.

I digressed. TL,DR: No, I don't get the vaccine. I caught the un-covered version of it earlier this year when my mother was in the rehab hospital so a vac wouldn't have covered me anyway.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

10-03-2015 11:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

The vaccine is grown in eggs. So, anyone with an allergy to eggs will be at risk for an allergic reaction to vaccine.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers cannot work against viruses as they have no cell membrane. Alcohol dissolves the cell membrane of bacteria.

They didn't have an MMR vaccine when I was in school. To my knowledge I never had measles.

Polio was rampant when I was a kid. Seemed like everyone knew someone who contracted it.
The Salk vaccine was one of the best breakthroughs in immunology.

I will get a flu vaccine though. Maybe today!

10-03-2015 11:34 AM