Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Flu Shot
(10-03-2015 08:53 AM)justMongo Wrote:  As you mention Primary Immune Deficiency in your profile... Is it even a good idea for you to have any vaccine?

Docs always want me to get them. The Immune deficiency is a specific antibody deficiency --- to the polysaccharide coat of the pneumococcus bacteria. Means that the pneumovax or its sisters have zero effect and that if someone comes around me with a secondary infection (some huge percentage of which are pneumococcus) I get sick. The remainder of my IGG and IGM hangs around the low end of the spectrum - and if split, some are well under, but IGA is normal most of the time so they do not call it CVID. When I keep myself free of infection the IGG and IGM numbers come up a little. I caught measles at 17 when my little brother got the vaccine (I lied and said i'd had it and no one ever made me get it) so when not "handled" my immunity to viruses also goes south.

These days I keep antibiotics on hand and begin a round as soon as I feel an infection coming on - I have developed a keen sensitivity to them and one rarely develops into a big issue. Interestingly, the last time I had to do that was last November -- right after beginning cpap treatment. And the cold I got in July did *not* develop into a secondary!

I have documentation from 2 independant well respected immunologists as to the nature of the deficiency and how to treat it - but it still takes me about 3 years to "train" a new PCP to let me have the antibiotics I keep on hand. Dont-know

As to the flu shot, I am neither more sick nor less sick for having taken it and the shot itself makes me quite ill. Subjective and not at all scientific. Docs hate it, but it works for me.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 12:08 PM by DariaVader.)
10-03-2015 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

I'll get my shot a little later this month. After 20 years in the military where they were required and working for companies that offered free flu shots, it has become one of those things I do. Can't ever remember getting the flu, but have had colds and sinus infections.

Homer
10-03-2015 04:12 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(10-03-2015 08:53 AM)justMongo Wrote:  As you mention Primary Immune Deficiency in your profile... Is it even a good idea for you to have any vaccine?

Obviously a question for the doctor, but unless you get the nasal mist, it's probably a killed virus and probably can't infect you even if your immune system is weak. It might be ineffective if your immune system is weak. It might be a problem if you have some sort of hyperactive immune system.

Obviously, check with the doc if you have any immune system problems.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-03-2015 05:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

(10-03-2015 11:04 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I understand having vaccines against diseases that can kill or maim such as polio. I can even understand them for childhood diseases such as measles and chicken pox. I am not anti-vaccine at all. I'm not an idiot. But I do not understand having a vaccine against a disease such as the flu.

Flu kills an average of 40,000 people per year in the US. Probably more than any other infectious disease. If the vaccine is even 50% effective, that's 20,000 DEAD people per year in the US alone.

The 1918 pandemic killed something like 3 percent of the population of the whole world. Other than vaccines, we're probably less able to handle a pandemic like this than we were in 1918. Antivirals don't work that well, and there aren't enough doctors and doses to dispense them. World travel makes it much easier to spread.

Intensive care and ECMO are real lifesavers, but there isn't 1% of the capacity a REAL outbreak like 1918 would need. They were at max capacity a few years back when there was a mild "swine" flu outbreak.

Not saying YOU need a vaccine if you have a history of reactions, but flu vaccines are probably the biggest lifesaving vaccine choice most of us can make.

BTW, get a pneumonia vaccine as well. It's cheap and lasts a long time. Not 100% effective, but a lot of people die or have real big problems from pneumonia.

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-03-2015 05:47 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

While we're on the subject, there was ABC program this week reveal "When we head to the GP most of us assume "the doctor knows best". But the truth is, many of the scans, tests and procedures ordered by medical practitioners are wasteful, unnecessary and potentially harmful"

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/09/28/4318883.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-28/te...rs/6799378
10-03-2015 07:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PositiveMe123 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6/10 - ps=3
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(10-03-2015 05:47 PM)archangle Wrote:  Flu kills an average of 40,000 people per year in the US. Probably more than any other infectious disease. If the vaccine is even 50% effective, that's 20,000 DEAD people per year in the US alone.

The 1918 pandemic killed something like 3 percent of the population of the whole world. Other than vaccines, we're probably less able to handle a pandemic like this than we were in 1918. Antivirals don't work that well, and there aren't enough doctors and doses to dispense them. World travel makes it much easier to spread.

Intensive care and ECMO are real lifesavers, but there isn't 1% of the capacity a REAL outbreak like 1918 would need. They were at max capacity a few years back when there was a mild "swine" flu outbreak.

Not saying YOU need a vaccine if you have a history of reactions, but flu vaccines are probably the biggest lifesaving vaccine choice most of us can make.

BTW, get a pneumonia vaccine as well. It's cheap and lasts a long time. Not 100% effective, but a lot of people die or have real big problems from pneumonia.

Hard for me to understand why people over 65 who are otherwise intelligent, decide not to have a flu shot or the pneumonia shot. I had a reaction to the injection itself... arm was red and sore for a few days... big deal, right? With all I've read about pneumonia in the elderly, I wouldn't not get the shot.
10-06-2015 03:30 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

(10-06-2015 03:30 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote:  Hard for me to understand why people over 65 who are otherwise intelligent, decide not to have a flu shot or the pneumonia shot. I had a reaction to the injection itself... arm was red and sore for a few days... big deal, right? With all I've read about pneumonia in the elderly, I wouldn't not get the shot.

I'm not > 65 yet, but when I am I will still make the same choice not to get either shot - and I think I am reasonably intelligent.

The flu shot makes me a *whole lot* sicker than a sore arm, for what reason I do not know, and does not prevent the flu (perhaps my IGG is too low overall whether I am vaccinated or not)

As for the PPV23 or pneumovax - they are completely ineffective and I make 0 antibodies in response to them. Not everyone fits into the box Wink

10-06-2015 06:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

(10-06-2015 06:11 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  The flu shot makes me a *whole lot* sicker than a sore arm, for what reason I do not know, and does not prevent the flu (perhaps my IGG is too low overall whether I am vaccinated or not)

As for the PPV23 or pneumovax - they are completely ineffective and I make 0 antibodies in response to them. Not everyone fits into the box Wink

If you didn't wear that mask and armor all the time, you might develop a better immune system.

Useful links.
10-06-2015 07:40 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

(10-06-2015 07:40 PM)archangle Wrote:  If you didn't wear that mask and armor all the time, you might develop a better immune system.

Big Grin
it's my bubble

10-06-2015 10:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

I got my flu shot (4 valent) on Sunday. I'm a caregiver for an immune compromised family member and Mom is 81. I never had the flu until about 7 years ago - so sick and had to bring my late Dad to the hospital, where he was transported to another hospital because of the severity of illness. He was lucky - several folks in his heart unit died from the flu complications. Obviously, the flu is usually worse for those who are elderly and with other illness.

Paula, my brother can't get the regular flu shot. His doctor imports the newer form from Europe that does not involve eggs (supposed to be standard here in the US next year unless that is delayed). He doesn't normally react to eggs, but they said that it was the egg involvement that made him so sick.

I rarely get colds any more because I shop when there are fewer people around and have little interaction with elementary school kids AND stupid family members who would come over when they were sick.
10-07-2015 01:54 PM