Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flu and CPAP?
Flu and CPAP?
What is your stratagem for this problem we will all most likely face at some stage during cpap therapy?

I am now firmly in the camp of Flu and CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flu and CPAP?
Rinse your sinuses with a warm saline solution. You can do this with a bulb a syringe, or the far more effective NeilMed sinus rinse kit available at all drug stores.

The nasal mask helps me keep my sinus passages clear. The forced air just pushes its way through!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a preference one way or another for nasal masks or pillows in this regard? I'm still struggling to understand the practical difference between the two (except that one supposedly works better at higher pressures).
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that nasal pillows don't push against my pillow anywhere near as much as the mask does.

It's a comfort advantage for me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The strategy is to not stop using the CPAP. You may find turning the humidifier up just a tad will help.

Like Sleepster, I do a nasal rinse (I use the squirt bottle, not the pot) before bed and again an hour or so after I get up (sooner if I get really clogged).

You may have trouble falling asleep but Nyquil helps with that. LOL I sometimes feel suffocated because there's no air coming in but it goes away rather quickly.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Swift FX nasal pillows. I find that when I am stuffed up -- from a cold or allergies, the pillows clears my nose and allow me to breath. My wife has used cpap for more than six years and uses a nose mask. She says it has always cleared a stuffy nose. Also, she would sometimes cough during the day but at night, on the machine, no coughing.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.