Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fluctuating AHI
Fluctuating AHI
Hi,
I sometimes get higher than usual AHI's, and can't figure it out. I get like 1.5, 2.6, 4.5 etc, then one night I get a 14.3, like last night, I woke around 2 am, and it read 5.1, then I had trouble going back to sleep, and when I woke it was 14.3. I also wasn't feeling good, so does that affect the events? My AHI for the last 117 days is 5.1 I am new to this AirSense10, and maybe I'm just seeing this stuff now, my old machine didn't give me that data, had to take the machine in for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fluctuating AHI
Things like that can be positional: you rolled onto you back or tucked in your chin.  Trouble getting to sleep can effect the events as the machine does not know if you are sleeping or not and tossing and turning can mimic apneas (e.g. holding your breath as you turn over and re-arrange things).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 07:54 PM)chill Wrote: Things like that can be positional: you rolled onto you back or tucked in your chin.  Trouble getting to sleep can effect the events as the machine does not know if you are sleeping or not and tossing and turning can mimic apneas (e.g. holding your breath as you turn over and re-arrange things).

Okay, that makes sense, I also was told sniffing your nose will show as an apnea!
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines are pretty good, but not as accurate as a full sleep lab.   Don't sweat the odd "bad night".  It might just be an off night, it might be limitations of what the machine can detect.  The long term averages is what you need to keep an eye on.  We all get the odd 0.0 night and the odd super high night.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Which AirSense 10 do you have? Is it the autoset? I suggest you update your profile with the complete model description. Also, you may want to download SleepyHead software from the link at the top of the page and post some data on the forum. That will allow us to advise you on your settings. See the links below on how to organize and post data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 12:14 AM)chill Wrote: These machines are pretty good, but not as accurate as a full sleep lab.   Don't sweat the odd "bad night".  It might just be an off night, it might be limitations of what the machine can detect.  The long term averages is what you need to keep an eye on.  We all get the odd 0.0 night and the odd super high night.

Sleep-well

Lowest I have had is 0.5

(06-29-2017, 12:27 AM)Melman Wrote: Which AirSense 10 do you have? Is it the autoset? I suggest you update your profile with the complete model description. Also, you may want to download SleepyHead software from the link at the top of the page and post some data on the forum.  That will allow us to advise you on your settings. See the links below on how to organize and post data.

Yes, the AutoSet, but I had trouble with the variable setting at first, so it's set on fixed right now. How does Sleepyhead work?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead is installed on your computer; it reads an SD card that's under the a cover on the side of the CPAP machine. You remove the card, read it, then replace it. It gives a statistical and graphic representation of what's going on. It would be good to use as I am wondering what type of apnea you have on your "bad" nights. Obstructive or Clear Airway?

And, BTW, what is your altitude in New Mexico. I know some locations are quite high; and that can be a factor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 08:56 AM)justMongo Wrote: Sleepyhead is installed on your computer; it reads an SD card that's under the a cover on the side of the CPAP machine.  You remove the card, read it, then replace it.  It gives a statistical and graphic representation of what's going on.  It would be good to use as I am wondering what type of apnea you have on your "bad" nights.  Obstructive or Clear Airway?

And, BTW, what is your altitude in New Mexico.  I know some locations are quite high; and that can be a factor.

About 5,000 above sea level here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NMApnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 08:56 AM)justMongo Wrote: Sleepyhead is installed on your computer; it reads an SD card that's under the a cover on the side of the CPAP machine.  You remove the card, read it, then replace it.  It gives a statistical and graphic representation of what's going on.  It would be good to use as I am wondering what type of apnea you have on your "bad" nights.  Obstructive or Clear Airway?

And, BTW, what is your altitude in New Mexico.  I know some locations are quite high; and that can be a factor.

I downloaded and installed Sleepyhead, but it tells me to write protect the SD card before inserting it, can I do that on my AirSense?Also, I went for another mask fitting, and he fitted me with a large headgear, and a large cushion, so we'll see how that works, he gave me the headgear, but I had to order the large cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS linked to flow rate or fluctuating breathing? Willgetthere 9 873 12-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: ancheero
Question AHI fluctuating from very low to high dfabro 16 2,585 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Apnea Infant

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.