Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flummoxed: my xPAP doesn't keep daylight savings time
RE: Flummoxed: my xPAP doesn't keep daylight savings time
I lived in a developing country that introduced DST while I was there; they started in spring IIRC, so a spring forward..... Oh, gosh.... Many people didn't understand the concept and continued to use the non-DST and referred to it as "the old time".  E.g. I ate lunch at 11 am on the old time. (on the "new time" this was 12 noon).
Post Reply Post Reply
Her's to abolishing DST universally!

From the stand point of the CPAP/APAP machines it really shouldn't make any difference. Kind of like traveling between time zones. No need to really change anything.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
My DreamStation with wireless modem gets its time from "the cloud". So (as others have said here) there's no reason to change it. I know that now. I will leave it on standard time from now on

But after the recent change from DST I wanted to make sure that SleepyHead and my machine agreed on the time. So I dialed back the time 1 hr. Big mistake. Huge. This caused my DreamStation to report "SD Card Full". Huh???

The real annoyance is that the file timestamps the DreamStation writes to the SD card appear to already be in the Unix-standard UTC. So changing the time displayed by the DreamStation shouldn't matter. And yet it does.

Maybe changing the time only matters if I go back across noon? Someone already mentioned a problem like that for Resmed machines. Maybe the Respironics machines have a similar limitation? I remember distinctly that the DreamStation said 12:30 and I changed it back to 11:30, so I definitely crossed the boundary.

I posted details on [link removed][forum hosted by Supplier #1] and so will copy my post. I can't just link, since this forum doesn't allow links to there.

I fixed my problem by reformatting my SD card. Thankfully I didn't lose any data, since SleepyHead keeps its own copy.

Here's my post from that other forum:

I have stumbled upon a (perhaps different) explanation for why the dreamstation is reporting "SD Card Full". It's quite possible that the original poster committed the unpardonable sin of changing the time on his machine.

My DreamStation just started saying the same thing, even though the SD card is not full at all.

I just set my dreamstation clock back by one hour. My machine time was off by an hour after the recent change from DST. Every Windows, Unix, and macOS computer does this automatically. But the twits at Respironics somehow managed to screw it up. And they screwed it up even though (at least on my dreamstation) they obviously run something like NTP over the wireless modem to keep the correct time. (I know that because my time remained correct to the nearest second until the recent DST change).

Immediately after I changed time I got the SD card full message. And I mean immediately. As in just as I pressed in the dial to make the time change.

So not only are the pinheads at Respironics incapable of changing the time automatically, they somehow check the time information previously written to the SD card and throw a hissy fit if they detect time going backwards.

I save the contents of my SD card each night. Three files were changed. LAST (dot) TXT, LOG (dot) SEQ, and PROP (dot) TXT. I tried restoring the contents and the timestamps on those files from the previous day. But their software check is more encompassing than that. I still get the "SD Card Full" message.

I will try to reformat my SD card. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Not everyone has a modem in their DreamStation. Usually they are installed only if the DME's order them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oops!

The winning post in this thread proposed winding the time back one hour after 1pm AND before you use the CPAP for that day.
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStations being distributed from Kaiser Permanente Oregon all have a wireless modem, its so you can call or chat anytime with the RPSGT staff about your current night's data without having to take the CPAP to their office.

I travel to asia and europe with my DreamStation Auto and leave the time alone.  I find this useful to see these trips easily in SleepyHead overview as really offset from my normal bedtime hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tangentially related - I keep my VAUTO right behind my alarm clock. Now, my clock sets itself automatically from the atomic clock radio signal.  For years it has lept forward and fallen back right at the right time.  Not this time.  Interference from the machine kept it from resetting until the machine was off.  I know it's interference, because the same interference turns any AM or FM stations on the clock to static whenever the CPAP is blowing.  As soon as I hit stop the radio plays fine and the clock can set itself.  

I guess I need to move the CPAP or remember to adjust my alarm for the time change from now on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The clocks in the UK changes in the last week of October and the US changed on Nov 5. Thats the only 2 I am aware of. We do not coincide and of course, the tropics do not change at all....

Poor old machines will find it all too difficult. I agree with not changing at all. Wrecks my internal clock for a bit.....
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tropics did in fact go on daylight savings time where I lived.

Interesting on the interference between the CPAP and the Atomic clock.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 03:55 PM)WiredUp Wrote: DreamStations being distributed from Kaiser Permanente Oregon all have a wireless modem, its so you can call or chat anytime with the RPSGT staff about your current night's data without having to take the CPAP to their office.

If this sounds so great to anyone that they're thinking of quitting their job and moving here just to join KP Oregon, here's a bit of warning.

Years ago I had a cpap machine but eventually stopped using it. My MD in KP and I agreed that I should try again. My MD made a referral in August, the KP cpap staff didn't contact me until the next April. It took literally 7 1/2 months before I could get an appointment with the technician for a new machine.

KP Oregon does a lot of things right, but their responsiveness in this area leaves a lot to be desired. And that's an understatement.

OTOH as WiredUp said, I got a DreamStation with a wireless modem. It's nice equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 5 59 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,002 9 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 178 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 267 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 297 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,962 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.