Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation
Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation
Hi Dreamstation owners,

I'm heading to Europe for business in a few weeks time and i'm contemplating purchasing the Phillips Respironics PAP "Battery" kit. I figure it's useful not just for this travel but also for camping, as a UPS should my power go out while i'm dreaming about fishing etc...

Has anyone bought a battery before and are they worth the hassle?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation
I can't answer your question directly, but with the current consternation about laptops and meat grinders you should check with your airline and Border Force to see what the current regulations are for carrying a large battery on a plane.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point!
Post Reply Post Reply
All the info I have seen from Respironics quotes run times without humidification.

It's not clear to me what happens if humidification is on. Does it simply reduce the run time or is the battery too small to support humidification at all? In Oregon that's not usually much of an issue. But in drier climates (Las Vegas comes to mind) humidification is IMO essential.
Post Reply Post Reply
It uses a lot of energy to make heat, if you can use passive humidification no problem and no heated hose of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up getting the Phillips Respironics PAP "Battery" kit.

It works as intended! When connected at full charge with no external power the DreamStation worked for my entire nights sleep (8.5hrs) and when I checked the charge level in the morning was only down to 3 lights from a full charge level of 5 lights. I would say you could possibly get two nights sleep on one charge, not so sure tho i'll test it!

I did notice a little issue. When you connect just the battery to the DreamStation humidification is disabled as the machine has the smarts to know the external power isn't connected to the battery, this is by design and expected. However, if you connect external power after you have already connected the battery to the DreamStation humidification isn't automatically "re-enabled" unless you disconnect and reconnect the battery to the DreamStation.

While power is supplied to the battery the DreamStation has full functionality including humidification. I tested turning off the power during use and the battery goes into "UPS" mode providing power as expected without interruption and humidification continued.

I'm going to test a simulated power outage and see how long the battery in "UPS" mode can run the unit with my standard humidification of 2/2 and min CPAP of 10cm/o2. I'll let you know my results :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,534 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,303 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  Flying in Europe with full size APAP SteadyAir 16 2,957 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  Flying and using machine on a flight? Can it help SpO2 at high altitude? MyronH 10 2,410 04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  Flying with CPAP Dyinginmysleep 13 2,187 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travelling with a CPAP machine Flossie 23 3,401 08-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.