Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flying in Europe with full size APAP
Flying in Europe with full size APAP
Hello all,

I am going to be traveling to and from Europe in the near future with my AirSense 10 Auto. Here in the US I understand that the FAA requires airlines to allow me to bring on my medical equipment as an extra carry-on and not count as my regular carry-on. So getting to Europe with my machine is not an issue.

But, the FAA has no jurisdiction out of the US, of course, and no other country seems to have this kind of medical equipment rule in place. I called both the airline and ResMed to make sure. Apparently it's at the discretion of the gate personnel in the EU if I can bring on this extra item.

So, my question is, has anyone had any actual experience flying in Europe with a regular carry-on, a personal item, and their CPAP/APAP machine? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flying in Europe with full size APAP
This might be helpful https://www.resmed.com/us/en/blog/therap...ine.html?b
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had a problem. It might help if you have a label stating that the bag contains medical equipment that must stay with the traveller.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm fairly certain that BA doesn't make exceptions for CPAP as carry-on, although their gate agents might have discretion to overlook it. What airlines are you taking?
Post Reply Post Reply
My recommendation is to look for your answer in a forum directed toward frequent flyers of a particular airline, such as the various FlyerTalk forums. That's how I found out about BA's policy from a quick search on that forum and I didn't even need to post a question.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you dont use the resmed travel bag ,you put your cpap in a plastic bag so it doesn't gather any bacteria from the process and you can declare it upon landing but you dont have to. you put it in a seperate container like your laptop. If you travel with the resmed travel bag though you just leave it inside the bag, if they want to look inside they will ask you. Don't try to overthink it.

you will not get a rectal exam from carrying your cpap, rest assured.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fly fortnightly with a full size resmed autoset within europe using Ryanair a bargain basement everything is extra airline and a typical holiday airline, for both carriers I keep it in it's own bag that way it's easily recognised by security and the gate staff as a cpap machine they see lots of them I have not been asked any questions in the two years over 100 flights I have been doing this. I keep the bag over the handle of my roller bag whilst walking through the airport it's no issue. When on the plane it goes by my feet unless I am in an emergency exit seat then it goes in the overhead.

My flights are short like most europe flights so i do not use the cpap on the plane so no need to inform the airline just arrive at the gate with it.

I hope this is help full
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 11:56 PM)crowtor Wrote: If you dont use the resmed travel bag ,you put your cpap in a plastic bag so it doesn't gather any bacteria from the process and you can declare it upon landing but you dont have to. you put it in a seperate container like your laptop. If you travel with the resmed travel bag though you just leave it inside the bag, if they want to look inside they will ask you. Don't try to overthink it.

Won't it get bacteria from being exposed to the new environment, TSA/security checkers if they handle the device, even your hands if you're out and about and forced to open up the bag and touch everything?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2019, 03:26 AM)vroomvroom Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 11:56 PM)crowtor Wrote: If you dont use the resmed travel bag ,you put your cpap in a plastic bag so it doesn't gather any bacteria from the process and you can declare it upon landing but you dont have to. you put it in a seperate container like your laptop. If you travel with the resmed travel bag though you just leave it inside the bag, if they want to look inside they will ask you. Don't try to overthink it.

Won't it get bacteria from being exposed to the new environment, TSA/security checkers if they handle the device, even your hands if you're out and about and forced to open up the bag and touch everything?

It's a medical device, they do not touch it. Otherwise you could always say they busted it while checking it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply.  We will be taking Lufthansa for that leg of the flight.  I also looked and it does not appear that Lufthansa has a forum for users (that I have found so far). That said, there are some 3rd party forums that seem to cover Lufthansa, so I will check them out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.