Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flying with CPAP
Flying with CPAP
In February i plan on flying to Cuba with my cpap machine. For anyone who has travelled with their cpap by air do i need any sort of medical note to bring it with me?

Also being in another country with different power voltage will this be a nightmare?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flying with CPAP
Generally speaking you can take your machine on as an additional item of hand luggage, in addition to your normal allowance. Unless you're going to use it on board you won't need any sort of documentation.

AFAIK all current machines are multi-voltage and should adjust automatically. There should be an indication on the power brick (eg 110 - 240 VAC). You will need to get a plug adaptor which will cost a few dollars - pick one up at the airport.
Post Reply Post Reply
Add surge protection while off unfamiliar power supply..?
Post Reply Post Reply
I fly frequently with my CPAP including internationally.  Not a big deal.  In Canada, you will have to take your CPAP out of the bag at the airport for CATSA screening.   Just like a laptop.  Again, not a big deal.  It will go through xray and, very unlikely, but they may take a swab.  My son used to work as a screener at a major Canadian airport and he saw CPAP machines every day.  They are that common.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to be extra-cautious, you could buy one of these (or similar) luggage tags and put it on the machine's carrying bag:

As DB said, you are allowed that medical bag in addition to any other carry-on bag. It's best never to surrender it as checked luggage, because it could be damaged or lost.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the replies, purchased a plug adapter and i think im ready to go Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
In 10 or so flights I've never had a problem. The TSA people all seem to know what it is. As for electricity most CPAP machines have a transformer in the power line that work on both 110 volt 60 Hz and 220 50 Hz. 

For Cuba, to be safe, I would check with the locations at which you're staying. I would assume lots of surges and spikes in their power grid though. Perhaps other posters will know if it's a good idea to bring a surge protector.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2018, 01:40 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: If you want to be extra-cautious, you could buy one of these (or similar) luggage tags and put it on the machine's carrying bag:

As DB said, you are allowed that medical bag in addition to any other carry-on bag.  It's best never to surrender it as checked luggage, because it could be damaged or lost.

That tag looks very good, much better than the one I managed to create. Any idea where I could get hold of one?

PM me if you think it's going to compromise forum regulations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, it's easy. Taking the line of least resistance because I'm lazy, I used google (evil) and amazon (also evil), and did a search for:

site:amazon.com cpap luggage tag

Then I clicked on "Images" and picked one that looked good. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, most suppliers from our list above sell these tags.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Europe with full size APAP SteadyAir 16 3,029 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  Flying and using machine on a flight? Can it help SpO2 at high altitude? MyronH 10 2,454 04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  CPAP carry-on case and flying question? S.L. Ping Beauty 30 4,301 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
Question Flying with cpap FozzyDaBear 16 2,813 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Last Post: cant_sleep_in_nj
  Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation SleepyOzzy 5 1,624 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SleepyOzzy
  Traveling/Flying with CPAP Machine ImaSurvivor 68 23,138 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  Flying with CPAP zonk 1 2,088 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.