Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flying with cpap
Question 
Flying with cpap
Hi, I'm going to be flying in a couple of weeks for a business trip and it's my first flying experience with a cpap machine. I know it can be carried on in the US with no penalty since it's considered medical equipment. I'm planning on checking my suitcase so I don't have deal with it along with my laptop and cpap machine. For those that have flown, what's your preferred method of dealing with your cpap machine: Carrying on or packing in suitcase?

I'm leaning towards carrying it on since they're rather pricey and it will be in my control.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flying with cpap
Carry it with you. Suitcases have been known to get lost.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you seen the way they throw checked in luggage about??

Am sure my bread maker present was wrecked by being checked in for long haul flight as the maker was working absolutely fine before travel.

I will definitely not recommend checking in the CPAP machine.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take it on board. Risk of damage or being lost is just too great when compared to going without it for god knows how long.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have carried the CPAP onboard. If I'm using carry-on luggage, I will fit the CPAP case over the extendible handle on the luggage with the laptop. Once at my seat, the bag goes to the overhead bin, and the CPAP/Laptop can sit on the floor under the seat in front if there is not overhead bin space; otherwise it can all go in the bin. If not carrying on a piece of luggage, the CPAP and laptop are pretty easy to manage. New rules will require you to open the CPAP case and put the blower section in a plastic bin at TSA, so don't pack a bunch of loose things in your CPAP case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You understood that a medical device like a CPAP can be carried on to cabin in addition to whatever else you're allowed to take? You might want to get (or download) a medical device tag. There are a couple of other pieces of paper that are handy to have, but I've forgotten what they are!
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep a letter from the Sleep Clinic in the side pocket but have not been queried about the bag the both times I have travelled out of the country. Think the Resmed bags must be very recognisable by the airport authorities these days as they do not bat an eyelid but of course they can see all with the X-ray.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

Post Reply Post Reply
You can easily replace lost clothing but it's damned hard to replace a medical device when you're flying to a different location. I have flown with a cpap for more than 20 years and never put it in my luggage - the risk is too big. Besides TSA loves to wipe the exterior down, thus cleaning the dust off of it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
they all know what they are. on the belt through x-ray and into the overhead. No one even blinks, except the occasional passenger that uses CPAP but didn't bring to avoid any problems. They just want to hear the story first hand. TSA sees lots of them and no do not pack it in checked luggage.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a wheeled carry-on bag that holds my CPAP and all my wife's meds. Just put it on the belt with my other stuff when I go thru security. Never been asked to open it. Goes in the overhead bin with the med device tag showing. When traveling with my wife, we usually board early as she has some mobility issues.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Europe with full size APAP SteadyAir 16 3,019 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  Flying and using machine on a flight? Can it help SpO2 at high altitude? MyronH 10 2,444 04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  Flying with CPAP Dyinginmysleep 13 2,223 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  CPAP carry-on case and flying question? S.L. Ping Beauty 30 4,288 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation SleepyOzzy 5 1,616 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SleepyOzzy
  Traveling/Flying with CPAP Machine ImaSurvivor 68 23,041 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  Flying with CPAP zonk 1 2,086 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.