Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flying with cpap
RE: Flying with cpap
Have flown alot with it, carry it on for sure as advised above.  Sometimes they want the case opened and the machine taken out so they can look at the id plate on the bottom, sometimes not.  Sometimes swabbed for drug/other residue, sometimes not.  They see alot of them.  

Empty the humidifier tray prior to packing!   Laugh-a-lot

I have put a luggage tag on the outside with name and phone number, and a paper inside with my name, address, and phone number, as there may be several look-alikes on the conveyor belt when I go through security.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the unlikely event you're ever asked what your CPAP machine is, the Philips Respironics DreamStation has a little note on the label on its underside stating, "This is a medical device." You may also wish to keep a copy of your prescription with you. Probably not neccessary, but you want to do all it takes to make sure you keep your machine with you in the cabin and not let them make you check it; otherwise, you takes your chances...

Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto all others, carry it on-board. It cannot get mishandled by you. The airline security are familiar enough to know it's not a bomb, etc. Just place it right next to your hair dryer with a scope. JK

One last thing, do check with the airline you're traveling with, they most likely have info outlined for this topic on their website. That way you know for certain their way of handling it.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This 2017 TSA article discusses the screening, and specifically mentions CPAP machines need to be removed from their carrying case and put into a bin for screening. This was new last year, and is the same treatment as a laptop computer. https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2017/0...conditions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
TSA will not be the issue. In the United States a prescription is not required. The machine is labeled as a medical device already and every TSA is schooled. I recommend that you never check the device unless you have a padded case and are not traveling with a battery. Locking cases are pointless as TSA have the right to open all checked bags regardless.

Most Airlines will have a policy regarding spare Lithium Ion battery's in checked baggage. Having the battery onboard is not an issue but it has to be with your carry on bags. Additionally, most Airlines will not allow the use of inflight power outlets for machine use thus requiring the use of your battery. This is not to say that it might not be possible to use said outlet without anyone noticing or saying anything. From a technical specification standpoint the outlet is not design to pull the amps required. It's a low draw system design to charge devices plugged into it. This point is often misunderstood. I get why as most outlets will actually power a device thus leading people to believe that was the design purpose.

If it would be helpful I can post the exact internal specification for CPAP devices to include which are allowed to be used onboard, checked battery regulations and onboard power requirements. It's a large list but might help if anyone is interested.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
I split the machine and humidifier with the humidifier going into my checked luggage and the machine in my carry on back pack. I leave the machine in the back pack and have only once been asked to take it out. When the security guy asked me what it was I asked him if he was new to the job. He had no idea what it was but the FAA tag on the bottom reassured him.
Post Reply Post Reply
i take a minimum of 2 flights a week for the last 10 years an only got my bag lost once (one really long night which didnt kill me). machine never got hurt either. id only pack it in my suitcase, im way too lazy to carry it on
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying in Europe with full size APAP SteadyAir 16 2,954 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  Flying and using machine on a flight? Can it help SpO2 at high altitude? MyronH 10 2,407 04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  Flying with CPAP Dyinginmysleep 13 2,185 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  CPAP carry-on case and flying question? S.L. Ping Beauty 30 4,229 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  Flying / Travelling with a Dreamstation SleepyOzzy 5 1,599 08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SleepyOzzy
  Traveling/Flying with CPAP Machine ImaSurvivor 68 22,944 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  Flying with CPAP zonk 1 2,070 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.