Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
RE: Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows?
(07-28-2016, 08:57 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I have found that I had problems at first, but eventually figured out what worked for me - that was to pull the pillow away from my nose and let it settle back several times until it was easier to breath.

That is exactly what I experienced with the P10, and why I had to give up on it. And for me the problem was that the only way to stop it from happening was to literally pull it with my hand. But the moment I'd let go and make the slightest movement, it was right back to being situations wrong again and making it difficult to breathe.

As always peoples mileage may vary, I know it's the favorite mask of a lot of people.

Post Reply Post Reply
I grab mine where the strap split apart and push it away from my nose until it starts to leak evenly all around. Then let it settle back. Sometimes I have to give it the "Bewitched" nose wiggle to align it too.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
i am new to this whole CPAP thing and the first one i am using is the nasal pillows and i too am having a terrible time exhaling with the P10. some nights i just want to drill some extra small holes in it so i can breathe easily all night. any body out there with advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
I used Philips Dreamwear nasal pillows since day one and for almost 6 months. Comfortable and no leaks ever. But no matter what pressure i had or what epr i always felt like i was breathing through a straw. Both inhale and exhale was terrible.

Now im trying full face masks and breathing in a F20 is night and day. Its so effortless. I love it. Its like now im not just having the velocity of the air but also the volume. With nasal pillows it always felt like my lungs tried to draw more volume of air than the mask could provide regardless of pressure of 6 or pressure of 14. This felling is gone in the F20 thankfully.

Cant Exhale:
Yes, stop the suffering and try a full face mask. Resmed F20 maybe isnt the sexiest of masks and it will hurt for the first few weeks but the feeling of being able to breathe effortless is way more important. Dont get a face mask with hose connection on the top. I dont trust those thin channels on the side of your face. Sure they can provide the pressure but not the volume. Hose in front straight into a full face mask is very nice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.