Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Foam Removal - Philips System One
RE: Foam Removal - Philips System One
Thank you drwooddr. Yours is the first post I've seen by a System One owner who received a confirmation letter.

I suppose mine is "in the mail".
Post Reply Post Reply
I just find it curious that I got the confirmation letter for my System One before the Dreamstation Go, which I had submitted a day earlier. Your mind starts to wonder: Did the registration go through OK on the first submission? Are they prioritizing the System One over the Dreamstation Go because it's older? Or is the foam issue worse? Who knows.

And I just happened to sit down last night to take apart my System One to remove the foam, but found that my torx bits are too fat to fit in the deep holes to remove the screws, so a torx screwdriver set is on order. It looks much easier to remove the foam from the System One than my Dreamstation Go, so I will most likely go back to using my old machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I removed the foam from my System One yesterday and used it last night. It’s 9 years old, and I purchased a Dreamstation Go 18 months ago for travel, but I liked it so much I started using it full time, so my System One has been sitting idle as a backup. Therefore, I wasn’t too concerned about voiding any warranty, etc.

I removed the foam following the video at the beginning of this thread, which was excellent. Foam looked intact, and I cleaned the unit as much as I could, and did not find any black specks. I did not change the pressure setting and did not use the humidifier, but I did add an AB filter on the outlet just in case anything was still in the motor housing. Unit did not seem any noisier than before, and I had an AHI of 1.5 last night, which is about what I was getting with the Dreamstation Go.

I don’t want to mess with the foam in the Go since it’s my new machine, I’d want Phillips to replace/repair it, and removal looks a bit more involved than on the System One. So it looks like I’ll be using my old machine until Phillips gets around to doing whatever they plan to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I did add an AB filter on the outlet just in case anything was still in the motor housing"

After you use the AB filter a few times for peace of mind you can get rid of it. The AB filter can affect pressure, air flow and sensor readings in ways that aren't clearly understood. Philips adamantly recommends no AB filters on recalled xPAP machines.

The problem caused by foamless operation is that the intake air is no longer forced to pass exclusively through the filter at the back of the System One. Over time dust will accumulate inside the machine, just as it does inside computer cases.

I believe the major point of unfiltered air entry is the port where the sdcard is located. It just occurred to me this morning that there probably are safe ways to cover that opening. The covering needs to be removable when desired by people using OSCAR, Sleepyhead, etc.

The opening can be covered with tape, but that exposes you to the tape's adhesive. A better covering probably will be a small piece of Saran Premium Plastic Wrap which is a thin film of LDPE (low-density polyethylne). LDPE does not off-gas. It is very stable and unlikely to produce particles. Do NOT grab any cling wrap you have on hand. Most brands don't disclose technical details, and some are PVC, not LDPE. Alternatively a piece of food grade wax paper or parchment paper could be taped over the opening, with all edges sealed by the tape.

There can be unintended consequences from trying this idea. The opening might serve as a passive escape route for heat. The opening's little plastic cover looks like it is deliberately ported.

The plastic case of a System One is a very poor conductor of heat. I doubt that heat is a problem while the machine is in use, but heat might accumulate after the machine is turned off. My machine consumes 2 watts when turned off. It is generating about 6.8 BTUs of heat per hour.

In the long run the best solution is to replace the foam with something safer that is the same size, shape, thickness and durometer softness.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a piece of System One foam and access to a durometer?
Post Reply Post Reply
SingingSam, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I know about the recommendation to not use an AB filter, and I do plan on removing it at some point. I’m sure there are some ramifications to removing the foam, but at this point I don’t see a better alternative compared to: 1) stopping therapy completely, 2) continuing to use my Go with the foam and wait for Phillips, or 3) trying to buy a new machine, which I read are hard to find and expensive right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Removing the foam from the Go is actually quite easy. I did it on mine. The only part I might consider to be a bit of a hassle is slowly pulling the foam out through the intake hole. (no need to cut anything)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2021, 06:46 AM)SingingSam Wrote: Thank you drwooddr. Yours is the first post I've seen by a System One owner who received a confirmation letter.

I suppose mine is "in the mail".

I got 2 emails on Aug 19. The first had the confirmation number as all zeros. The 2nd was a correction with the correct number.

No useful info though. 

"Currently, we are processing the device serial number registrations that have been received and are actively working with global competent authorities on the remediation process. Our organization is working diligently to replace or repair devices as soon as possible. Based on current estimates of impacted devices worldwide, we are working towards completing this effort within approximately 12 months."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used an AB filter with no change to my basically 0 AHI nor did I see anything collecting on said filter surface viewed with a bright LED flash light.

I stopped using an AB filter after not seeing any material accumulation.

I do have serious inflammation issues so I wonder about out gassing but as i had inflammation prior I'm not to concerned the machine is a problem.

YMMV
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
These workarounds are interesting to read…got me thinking as to why the manufacturing process doesn’t safeguard against deterioration and resultant fragmentation in the first instance, with something like an encasement of the foam in some sort of external fitted lining prior to placement inside the machine…in the way I’d imagine it to be, this would prevent any deterioration from escaping and making its way into the flow that ends up in the patients airway. Having seen what I’ve put my machines through (extremes of environmental temps, bumpy rides in the pannier of my mc, etc), it would be reassuring to know the foam was protected… just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a System one I am still using because I have tried the resmed 10, Dreamstation 1 and Dreamstation 2 and none of them give me the great sleep that the system one does.
I am using a Swift FX mask and I am thinking that this mask works great with the system one and not so well with the new machines.
In any event, I've come to the point where I'd like to remove the foam and replace it with another foam.
Are there any suggestions? Especially links on the internet where I can buy similar foam to replace it.
The system one is great except for the foam issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,839 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,060 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,170 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,125 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.