Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow Up Dr. Appt was today/Rash on face due to mask
RE: Follow Up Dr. Appt was today/Rash on face due to mask

(02-20-2015, 03:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Sparkle,

A couple of comments. First there is a person on this forum (I do not remember who) that uses 1/2 of a round cotton disc normally used for make-up removal as a pad on the bridge of her nose in order to get rid of the irritation. Just saying In terms of skin oils, I use an astringent cleanser on my face in the areas that the mask touches to remove the oils. It seems to work quite well.

As far as doctors are concerned, I believe that even the good ones are concerned with long term trends in the data and probably are not interested in looking at the data until there is enough data to be able to establish those trends. When they have enough data, they will probably be looking at the statistics and may still not be interested in the detail.

I am not saying that there are not doctors out there who are only looking to fatten their wallet but there are some caring and knowledgeable doctors. We complain about the bad ones but we should be careful to not automatically tar every MD with the same brush.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Hi Payton,

Thank you - I have some of those cotton pads - I'll give those a try as well!

I am happy with my dr. I recognize that it is early and that I am responding well to the therapy. I'm very happy that he noticed the rash and was so proactive with dealing with it. Even the DME called me the very next day! The dr. had said they've been slow and if I hadn't heard from them by Monday to call him and he will make sure they call me right away.

In three months I will see him again - in the meantime - in one month I have my annual physical coming up - will be anxious to hear what that dr has to say - and the month after that I have an appt. w/my endocrinologist (I have nodules on my thryoid) and can't wait to hear what he has to say - he's *really* thorough!
(02-20-2015, 05:09 PM)archangle Wrote: BTW, have you figured out how to take your mask apart? In particular that you can take the silicone flap off and clean it separately? It took me months after getting my first mask to figure out it was safe to disassemble it and clean the parts. The DME was no help, of course.

No I haven't but I will check it out - I do have an appt w/the DME this week. Maybe I'll wait and have them show me how to do it.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2015, 11:36 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Sparkle, on the mask liners, I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing. Hope this helps.

Thank you! I will look into these!
(02-21-2015, 12:08 AM)sumzzzs Wrote: I found that the Pad a cheek liner for my Quattro is so comfortable as compared to just wearing the mask when I started. I finally get my first visit with my sleep Doc next week, first after 2.5 months of therapy that is.

Thank you! I'll look into these too - its so helpful to know that the full face mask can be an option in spite of getting a rash.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 01:31 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: Hey Pap-Sis,
Glad you had your visit today, and while it was a little disappointing, it sounds like you were heard overall.

A thought about your rash. Some folk, especially woman around the "change" years, (before and after) can develop Rosacia for the first time. Now yes, you have a mask and things touching your skin that you never did before, but one thing more to consider, is that Rosacia, can spring up/flair, from heat/warmth.

So if you don't get results from your good cleaning, consider that. Even what seems like acne at our age, can be rosacia. So a dermatologist might be in order.

I think it is a great idea, as you'll surely be able to keep the mask you have now, to get some of the name brand cheek liners, and see how that goes, and try another mask, maybe something lighter?

Keep on doing so wonderfully! Are you feeling improvement?

The Manse Hen

Hi Susan!

Thank you - I do feel good about it. The funny thing is I had a dermatologist appt scheduled for the same day as my CPAP follow up. I had originally scheduled last November for January (Hard to get an appt w/her) because I was having a breakout (which I thought was acne) and wanted to have her check it out. Due to work I had to reschedule the appt from Jan to Feb. In the meantime, with Proactive (I should buy stock in that company!) the situation cleared itself up but then I developed a small skin tag on my upper check bone and wanted to have to check that but I managed to get it off so I cancelled the appt. Now I'm back on the books for another appt - I'll definitely mention Rosacia to her and see what she thinks.

I am feeling a lot better after one month using the CPAP. My issue now is the baggy eyes. I've been searching posts and it seems that its not uncommon. I do look scary when I wake up lol. Like I was on a bender all night long!

I have been using the gauze pads under my mask and paying extra special attention to washing my face at night before bed. Three nights using them and there is some improvement in the redness. With this harsh winter we are having it is really hard to tell what's related to what - Thursday and Friday morning I was heading into work in subzero temps - I have a decent walk from the parking garage to my window which is alongside a river - when the cold winds whip across from the river you feel it right down to bones!

Plows are outside again this morning - plowing away the additional six inches we got last night - Calgon take me away!!
(02-21-2015, 01:18 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: Hi ya'll, Sparkle I'll write a comment about your situation in a minute.

But unless I'm mistaken, Sparkle has the same machine as I do, which has the cloud info that goes to the DME and the Doctor. No it doesn't have the fine detail but the doc could easily have taken a look at her AHI rates/oS vs Ca's as well. So we don't know if he looked at those overall numbers prior to seeing her. My doctor for instance, on my prescription, says that he wants the data sent him for the first two months.

Just a thought,
Hen

I do know for a fact that the DME gets the info. They've called me a couple of times to see if I had any questions. In the messages they always say - "checking your data it looks like you are using the machine ...."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2015, 09:31 AM)Sparkle Wrote: I am feeling a lot better after one month using the CPAP. My issue now is the baggy eyes. I've been searching posts and it seems that its not uncommon. I do look scary when I wake up lol. Like I was on a bender all night long!

Try a caffeinated eyecream... i use Andalou's "Luminous Eye Serum" and it helps tremendously - for an after the fact fix!

To avoid getting puffy baggy eyes in the first place, fight water retention, sinus irritation, and air leakage into your eyes. I have definite issues with all 3 of those, and it is hard to tell which is the culprit in a given instance
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2015, 03:50 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 09:31 AM)Sparkle Wrote: I am feeling a lot better after one month using the CPAP. My issue now is the baggy eyes. I've been searching posts and it seems that its not uncommon. I do look scary when I wake up lol. Like I was on a bender all night long!

Try a caffeinated eyecream... i use Andalou's "Luminous Eye Serum" and it helps tremendously - for an after the fact fix!

To avoid getting puffy baggy eyes in the first place, fight water retention, sinus irritation, and air leakage into your eyes. I have definite issues with all 3 of those, and it is hard to tell which is the culprit in a given instance

It's on my shopping list - I'm going out tomorrow to get some! Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 814 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.