Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow Up Dr. Appt was today/Rash on face due to mask
Follow Up Dr. Appt was today/Rash on face due to mask
Hi Everyone ~

I know you are so anxious to hear about my follow Dr appt Smile

Like a lot of you it didn't seem like he was interested in any of the data. He just asked alot of questions about how I am feeling, where the differences have been most noticeable, any problems, any questions - my question is why didn't he want to look at the data - he said at this point, so early on, we just want to make sure you are seeing/feeling some positive improvement and what, if any, negative side effects you are experiencing - i.e, discomforts, problems, new issues etc.

I did bring the machine with me - he asked to see the face mask and asked me about the rash on my face. I do have a rash - from the face mask but honestly, I forget about it - I see it in the morning when I am getting ready but then once make up is on it is covered and I don't think about it again until at night. I did not have makeup on today - don't know why? He said he noticed it right off the bat and that I should have a fitting for a new mask. He said we don't want to take care of one problem and create a skin problem.

So its back to the DME I go - waiting for them to call me....

Anyone else experience sensitivity/rash due to the face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow Up Dr. Appt was today/Rash on face due to mask
Sparkle, you can get it from the silcone touch your skin, are you using mask liners? If not try them, in the US you can sometimes get them as part of your insurance or you can but them over the net or you can make your own. I can send the instructions if you want. They also help with mask leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doc doesn't want to look at the data because he's lazy and ignorant.

Take the mask you have and wash the heck out of it, especially the parts that touch your face in the area where you have a rash. Use a different kind of soap from what you've been using in case the soap is the cause.

Wash the silicone flap part really well and rinse thoroughly. Even though ResMed doesn't mention it, I wash my silicone and hard plastic mask parts in the dishwasher. In theory, almost no one is allergic to silicone, but there might be some sort of residue on the silicone. Lots of washing in hot water may remove this.

Also be careful about what lotions, creams, or makeup you have on your face when you mask up. Even if something doesn't bother you normally, it might bother you when you press it to your face with a waterproof plastic mask and hold it there all night long. It could also be laundry detergent, fabric softener, or dryer sheets on your bed linen.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, calling a doctor lazy and ignorant because he wants to know what you feel, rather than look at the data, is a bit over the top. On the forum we want to judge efficacy based on data because it's all we have, but this is an appropriate question from the doctor. OTOH if you have concerns related to some data you brought along, that should be discussed.

There are many mask alternatives, and you are using one of the old-school full face, with heavy headgear models. Maybe there is something better. Use this opportunity to look at the alternatives. There are all cloth masks from Circadance that might be better, or hybrid masks that don't fit over the top of the nose, but use pillows for the nose, and still covers the mouth. The doctor is your advocate, and this is an opportunity for you to really look into the variety of masks that might work out. If you're not comfortable, it's gong to be hard to succeed. From your posts, you don't have a AHI problem, you have a comfort issue. I'm with your doc on this one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 08:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Okay, calling a doctor lazy and ignorant because he wants to know what you feel, rather than look at the data, is a bit over the top.

How would you feel about a doctor treating diabetes who asked how you felt, but didn't bother to check your blood sugar levels, despite having the test results readily available?

How about a doctor treating blood pressure who asked the same questions, but didn't bother to check your BP?

Asking about how you feel, etc. should be a part of every treatment for sleep apnea. Failing to check the readily available AHI and other data is inexcusable.

CPAP data is "free", readily available, and relevant for any CPAP patient's therapy. How can you excuse a doctor charging you for an office visit, but not bothering to check the data?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 07:12 PM)Sparkle Wrote: Hi Everyone ~

Like a lot of you it didn't seem like he was interested in any of the data. He just asked alot of questions about how I am feeling, where the differences have been most noticeable, any problems, any questions - my question is why didn't he want to look at the data - he said at this point, so early on, we just want to make sure you are seeing/feeling some positive improvement and what, if any, negative side effects you are experiencing - i.e, discomforts, problems, new issues etc.

I did bring the machine with me - he asked to see the face mask and asked me about the rash on my face. I do have a rash - from the face mask but honestly, I forget about it - I see it in the morning when I am getting ready but then once make up is on it is covered and I don't think about it again until at night. I did not have makeup on today - don't know why? He said he noticed it right off the bat and that I should have a fitting for a new mask. He said we don't want to take care of one problem and create a skin problem.

So its back to the DME I go - waiting for them to call me....

Anyone else experience sensitivity/rash due to the face mask?

(02-19-2015, 09:27 PM)archangle Wrote:
(02-19-2015, 08:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Okay, calling a doctor lazy and ignorant because he wants to know what you feel, rather than look at the data, is a bit over the top.

How would you feel about a doctor treating diabetes who asked how you felt, but didn't bother to check your blood sugar levels, despite having the test results readily available?

How about a doctor treating blood pressure who asked the same questions, but didn't bother to check your BP?

Asking about how you feel, etc. should be a part of every treatment for sleep apnea. Failing to check the readily available AHI and other data is inexcusable.

CPAP data is "free", readily available, and relevant for any CPAP patient's therapy. How can you excuse a doctor charging you for an office visit, but not bothering to check the data?

Hi Sparkle,
Sorry to hear about your follow up not going so well , I agree with Archangle your Doctor should have at least peeked at your data, that's what he used to tell you that you have apnea.
Sad thing is I don't think my doctor would do anything different, and I don't even feel like making my follow appointment because of the lack of information I was given to begin with.
I don't even want to waste a copay until I need to for insurance porpoises.
Hope your rash gets under control, sounds to me like the liners could help if it's not caused by soap or makeup.
Good Luck and......
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 07:17 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Sparkle, you can get it from the silcone touch your skin, are you using mask liners? If not try them, in the US you can sometimes get them as part of your insurance or you can but them over the net or you can make your own. I can send the instructions if you want. They also help with mask leaks.

Hi,
No I am not using mask liners. I'll look into getting some - I'd love the instructions. Last night I gave my face a good washing and applied some acne cream (over the counter) sigh - yes, at this late age I still get breakouts argh!! And then I used gauze pads one on each side. There was a slight improvement this morning. I'll keep using the gauze until I can get the liners and/or the new mask.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 08:21 PM)archangle Wrote: The doc doesn't want to look at the data because he's lazy and ignorant.

Take the mask you have and wash the heck out of it, especially the parts that touch your face in the area where you have a rash. Use a different kind of soap from what you've been using in case the soap is the cause.

Wash the silicone flap part really well and rinse thoroughly. Even though ResMed doesn't mention it, I wash my silicone and hard plastic mask parts in the dishwasher. In theory, almost no one is allergic to silicone, but there might be some sort of residue on the silicone. Lots of washing in hot water may remove this.

Also be careful about what lotions, creams, or makeup you have on your face when you mask up. Even if something doesn't bother you normally, it might bother you when you press it to your face with a waterproof plastic mask and hold it there all night long. It could also be laundry detergent, fabric softener, or dryer sheets on your bed linen.

The dishwasher is a good idea - I have noticed since using the mask that my nose is oily. That's what prompted me to use the acne cream last night - I usually don't put in on at night but just applied a little bit - there was a slight improvment this morning. But maybe the oil from my skin is spreading toward the silicone and I just have to make sure I do wash the heck out of it.

I am a bit disappointed the dr. wasn't more interested in the data. He is having me in for another follow up appt. in three months. I have to call his office today and I'm going to ask his assistant about it. She's been very nice all throughout this whole experience. I'll let you know what she has to say.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 10:05 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: [quote='Sparkle' pid='101528' dateline='1424391141']
Hi Everyone ~

Hi Sparkle,
Sorry to hear about your follow up not going so well , I agree with Archangle your Doctor should have at least peeked at your data, that's what he used to tell you that you have apnea.
Sad thing is I don't think my doctor would do anything different, and I don't even feel like making my follow appointment because of the lack of information I was given to begin with.
I don't even want to waste a copay until I need to for insurance porpoises.
Hope your rash gets under control, sounds to me like the liners could help if it's not caused by soap or makeup.
Good Luck and......
Sleep-well

Thanks Smile I don't blame you for lacking in enthusiasm for your follow up appt. We get our expectations up and then wham! they get knocked down. Especially when we are being proactive - doing what the doctor tells us to do, etc. Why I even lost 20 lbs since my appt w/him in December and he didn't even mention that - the nurse did when she was taking the bp/weight/temp etc. I thought that was awfully strange.

I've posted in another post how I tried some acne cream (noticed my nose has been oily) and used gauze pads underneath. Amazingly they stayed in place all night. There was slight improvement this morning. So I'll keep that up until I try another mask. In the meantime, I'd like the option to have more than one mask so I want to keep working on resolving this.

Hope you all are warm in Minnesota - We are having bone chilling temps in MA
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2015, 08:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Okay, calling a doctor lazy and ignorant because he wants to know what you feel, rather than look at the data, is a bit over the top. On the forum we want to judge efficacy based on data because it's all we have, but this is an appropriate question from the doctor. OTOH if you have concerns related to some data you brought along, that should be discussed.

There are many mask alternatives, and you are using one of the old-school full face, with heavy headgear models. Maybe there is something better. Use this opportunity to look at the alternatives. There are all cloth masks from Circadance that might be better, or hybrid masks that don't fit over the top of the nose, but use pillows for the nose, and still covers the mouth. The doctor is your advocate, and this is an opportunity for you to really look into the variety of masks that might work out. If you're not comfortable, it's gong to be hard to succeed. From your posts, you don't have a AHI problem, you have a comfort issue. I'm with your doc on this one.

Thanks for this info on the masks Sleepyrider. I wasn't aware there were all cloth masks. I'll definitely take advantage of this mask fitting - especially now having some experience and what I've learned here on this board.

I have a follow up appt in three months. I plan on bring the stat page, printed out and discussing that with him. In all honesty, my only real question is will I ever be able to be "cured" from this. I didn't ask that questions because as they say - "don't ask a question you really don't want the answer too"

Anyway, I have a plan I've developed with goals - eating better, losing weight, getting more exercise and see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for your support - I don't know where I'd be without this board!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 151 Yesterday, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 969 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 231 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 126 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 655 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 441 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 504 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.