Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow-Up about 95% Pressure Question
Follow-Up about 95% Pressure Question
So I posted a few weeks ago about my data and how a CPAP pressure would be calculated.

Well, I just got the compliance report that will be sent to the sleep doctor from the at home titration test and the stats were all within acceptable ranges.

If my median pressure over 30 days was 14.5, the 95% was 19.0 and the maximum 20.0, two questions:

(1) Would the CPAP pressure be close to 19?
(2) Would I be safe to say that I should mention to the doctor about a BiPAP?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow-Up about 95% Pressure Question
If you had the following pressure readings during a sleep session: 8, 16, 9, 20, 12, 14, 18, 8, 10, and 12. The median would be 12 and the 95 percentile would be 19.1 (as I calculate it). The median is calculated by arranging the values in ascending order and the one in the middle (50 percentile) is the value of 12. The 19 @ 95 percentile means that 95% of all recorded values are below 19.

You are bumping the upper threshold of a CPAP at 20. Time, playing with your sleeping conditions, and weight loss may reduce the maximum pressure needed. BiPAPs are almost twice the price of an auto titration CPAP. Unless you have rich relatives or a real good insurance policy, I'd recommend that you try working with the one you have for a little bit longer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2015, 02:31 PM)ramblingasian Wrote: So I posted a few weeks ago about my data and how a CPAP pressure would be calculated.

Well, I just got the compliance report that will be sent to the sleep doctor from the at home titration test and the stats were all within acceptable ranges.

If my median pressure over 30 days was 14.5, the 95% was 19.0 and the maximum 20.0, two questions:

(1) Would the CPAP pressure be close to 19?
(2) Would I be safe to say that I should mention to the doctor about a BiPAP?

Thanks!

Yes, but that doesn't mean you need a bipap (yet). However, if your machine is closing in on 5 years, discuss with the doctor over that option. In my case, I've needed slightly higher pressures lately due to pollen and the western fires. After it rains, that night, I'm back down again. Look at your Sleepyhead data as well. If you are only briefly at 19 and you aren't having a lot of events, you really don't need a bipap as your machine can handle what you have already.

Now, my machine is currently set with an 8-12 range. I've had a few nights where its spending more time at 12, but only one night where I had increased events because it couldn't go higher. The single numbers give you an idea of what is up over time, but you can also see how LONG you are staying at that number more easily by looking at the daily sheets.

I'm still a beginner, but I'm starting to see how sleeping conditions can affect data day to day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2015, 03:20 PM)sgearhart Wrote: If you had the following pressure readings during a sleep session: 8, 16, 9, 20, 12, 14, 18, 8, 10, and 12. The median would be 12 and the 95 percentile would be 19.1 (as I calculate it). The median is calculated by arranging the values in ascending order and the one in the middle (50 percentile) is the value of 12. The 19 @ 95 percentile means that 95% of all recorded values are below 19.

You are bumping the upper threshold of a CPAP at 20. Time, playing with your sleeping conditions, and weight loss may reduce the maximum pressure needed. BiPAPs are almost twice the price of an auto titration CPAP. Unless you have rich relatives or a real good insurance policy, I'd recommend that you try working with the one you have for a little bit longer.

(09-08-2015, 03:46 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Yes, but that doesn't mean you need a bipap (yet). However, if your machine is closing in on 5 years, discuss with the doctor over that option. In my case, I've needed slightly higher pressures lately due to pollen and the western fires. After it rains, that night, I'm back down again. Look at your Sleepyhead data as well. If you are only briefly at 19 and you aren't having a lot of events, you really don't need a bipap as your machine can handle what you have already.

Now, my machine is currently set with an 8-12 range. I've had a few nights where its spending more time at 12, but only one night where I had increased events because it couldn't go higher. The single numbers give you an idea of what is up over time, but you can also see how LONG you are staying at that number more easily by looking at the daily sheets.

I'm still a beginner, but I'm starting to see how sleeping conditions can affect data day to day.

FYI: I'm in a titration test right now, so the machine is a loaner. I live in Canada, where due to government insurance, I will only have to pay a fixed amount for XPAP equipment. I'm just trying to become more informed about what equipment options I have so when I talk to my doctor I can have a proper conversation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, that totally makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramblinasian, in the U.S. the generally accepted rule is that when required CPAP pressure goes above 14 cmH2O a Bilevel is considered in order to provide greater exhale pressure relief and comfort. Some bilevel devices also have higher pressure capability. You should not hesitate to discuss the possibility of bilevel therapy, especially if you find the constant high pressure uncomfortable in any way, or if you're experiencing leaks or other problems.

CPAP pressure is usually set to the 90% pressure of an APAP trial, so you are still above a bilevel threshold, but not quite 19 cm for CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,415 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,041 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,367 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 930 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 990 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 647 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Questions about first follow up with Dr after starting cpap JulieK 2 623 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.